Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The Sugar Conspiracy" exposes the US sugar industry's systematic hijacking of scientific study to bury evidence that sugar is bad for you and blamed fat and the experts told everyone not to eat butter eggs animal fat not eating butter and animal fat favoured the margarine industry.

And lo fat products are pumped full of sugar to make them taste good

Back to Winter Soups and Stews, whenever I do a casserole, tagine or curry with lamb it invariably starts as a deboned shoulder or a leg, both of which come with a fair cap of fat.
So I strip off the entire fat layer and cube the lean meat that goes into the pot.

But first I cut the fat into small pieces and simmer in about half a cup of EVOO until they have rendered up all their fat then pour into containers or just a mug to use as "lamb lard". It becomes the cooking fat of the recipe for the onions and garlic etc, and there's always a heap left for general use whenever you want lambyness.

Using plenty of lamb lard lifts Panko-crumbed lamb cutlets to a new level.

lard lamb.jpg

Off topic but this is the flow chart for Canola margarine.

canola.png

That's the flow chart for vegetable oil refining, which would include margarine, oils, waxes etc.

If you took one for milk (ie butter), it would be pretty similar in complexity.

Bahaha...if only you have been and worked at a sugar mill.....Filthiest places on the planet. Everything is covered on molases and bagase, They scoop up raw sugar, ( complete wth bird shit ) with a front end loader and feed it into the refineries. It is the treated with caustic soda and other stuff, centrifuged and packed.

Fascinating process, but you get filthy just looking at the plant.

I do miss the sugar mills work

Food processing behind closed doors can be very dodgy.
Pigeon loaf, or for that matter, ale anybody?

That pigeon thing is really sad :( at least they died doing what they loved, I guess

Jamie Oliver's mantra of eating anything where you can understand the ingredients probably applies to production methods... There's something about 'churning' that seems so wholesome.

MMm...Butter.... I havent bought marg for years.

Butter tastes better

Not quite soup or stew but here's a venison pie made from a yearling I shot a few months back. Doesn't go down too bad!

20170802_192059.jpg

20170802_192500.jpg

One of my clients asked if I could shoot some rabbits on her property, I have seen them and we have to cover her raised beds, I said I couldn't do it so she got 2 guys in to get the rabbits from under her house. I went up on Saturday to watch, they caught 134 rabbits and nearly as many dodged the dogs and nets they brought with them
Back to Winter Soups and Stews, whenever I do a casserole, tagine or curry with lamb it invariably starts as a deboned shoulder or a leg, both of which come with a fair cap of fat.
So I strip off the entire fat layer and cube the lean meat that goes into the pot.

But first I cut the fat into small pieces and simmer in about half a cup of EVOO until they have rendered up all their fat then pour into containers or just a mug to use as "lamb lard". It becomes the cooking fat of the recipe for the onions and garlic etc, and there's always a heap left for general use whenever you want lambyness.

View attachment 107819

View attachment 107820
There is folk who tip the fat from lamb shoulder down the drain, my wife is one, blocked our drain, and I hate spending time doing what would have been an unnecessary job.
A bit like these London municipal workers. Should have called The Drain Man.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-concrete-fatberg-blocks-london-sewage-system

Oh man, my dogs would LOOOOOVE to chase some rabbits down. I just haven't found a place out here that'll let me have a go.

Wrong thread!

Attachments

• 20170207_194731.jpg
    20170207_194731.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 66

View attachment 107819

View attachment 107820

I like to debone a shoulder of lamb or pork myself so as to remove excess fat and leave a bit of meat on the bone. Roast the bone with the fat with garlic, tyme and rosemary. The bone great to chew on and the flavoured fat just ace.

red beans and rice.jpg

Red beans and rice.

Onion, Russian Garlic and a capsicum fried in pork fat
Tin of drained red beans
Sliced smoked sausage from smoker leftovers
Cup of sweet cherry tomatoes from garden, smashed
Big squirt of Reggae Reggae Carribean chilli sauce
Simmer 30 mins then a big gloop of Australian EVOO

Riviana aged brown basmatti.

Now I have a strange urge for ganja and a Bob Marley Hat.

Latest posts

Back