Winter Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholask

Reaction score
So, this will be my first home brews. i have 3 fermenter's in one I'll have a lager, another will have a cider. What should I do with the third?
I was only told to do lager at this time of year, however if there is something else i could have a go at I would surely like to try it out. Pretty much open to any suggestions. I just want something to compare with the lager. Cheers

Nick.

Assuming you're starting out with kits and adding the kilo of sugar as per the instructions? Post your recipes, even if it's just the name of the kit. You'll find that most kits for making "lager" are supplied with an ale yeast (or sometimes a blend of ale and lager yeasts) under the lid. Experienced kit brewers (or a bit of Googling) will help you identify if this is the case.

Some of the first advice new brewers are often given is to chuck out the yeast that comes with the kit and spend $4 to get a packet of something fresh and better suited to the task. For lager, something like Saflager S-23 or S-189 would be the go.

In Brisbane you won't need a heat pad to make lager - in fact you would probably still need to actively cool your fermenters as lager yeasts work best at about 9-12c. A potential problem for SEQ winters is that without temperature control, your brew's average temperature could end up in a kind of no-man's land that's slightly too cool for ales and too warm for lagers. Depends if you're brewing indoors with the heating on, etc. Somewhere with a stable temperature is best.

Your best bet might be to get some packets of Safale us-05. It's an ale yeast, but reputed to produce clean, lager-like results if fermented cool (like 15c).

OK. I'll go for the pilsner, will i need a heating mat or anything? or will Brisbane's temp atm be OK?

Black Pilsener.

Add a can of dark malt instead of the kg of sugar.

Brew at 14 deg C if you can.

Assuming you're starting out with kits and adding the kilo of sugar as per the instructions? Post your recipes, even if it's just the name of the kit. You'll find that most kits for making "lager" are supplied with an ale yeast (or sometimes a blend of ale and lager yeasts) under the lid. Experienced kit brewers (or a bit of Googling) will help you identify if this is the case.

Some of the first advice new brewers are often given is to chuck out the yeast that comes with the kit and spend $4 to get a packet of something fresh and better suited to the task. For lager, something like Saflager S-23 or S-189 would be the go.

In Brisbane you won't need a heat pad to make lager - in fact you would probably still need to actively cool your fermenters as lager yeasts work best at about 9-12c. A potential problem for SEQ winters is that without temperature control, your brew's average temperature could end up in a kind of no-man's land that's slightly too cool for ales and too warm for lagers. Depends if you're brewing indoors with the heating on, etc. Somewhere with a stable temperature is best.

Your best bet might be to get some packets of Safale us-05. It's an ale yeast, but reputed to produce clean, lager-like results if fermented cool (like 15c).

I'm currently using saflager s-23 to ferment a milk stout at around 14-16 degrees, from my web research it gives ale like flavours at those temps, and that you are quite fine to use some lager yeasts to brew ale styles, once it gets colder I'll be putting some lagers down I believe!

Klsch, pale base malt similar to a pils but using ale yeast fermented at lager temperatures.

If you want to still do an ale in winter, there is a Scottish strain from wyeast with a stated range down to 13 degrees. Can't comment on it yet, as I'm using it for the first time in a fermenting beer. I hought it would be a good option for the colder months, plus I'm not a huge fan of lagers

I'm yet to purchase what I need for a pilsner, but the lager is a 'Morgan Blue Mountain Lager' tin.. Is the yeast in this OK to use or would you recommend i try another yeast?

the yeast in that morgans tin isnt too shabby but its not enough and you really need to make a starter with it or
get a larger pack of good stuff....keep your kit yeast in the fridge for an emergency.

S-189 from craftbrewer---aka, CB swiss lager 2 * 12gm packs..will work great for your lager and your upcoming pilsner...morgans golden saaz has worked nicely for me with
1kg LDM and a tea bag of Saaz hops.

Back