Wingwalker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukec

Reaction score
Has anyone tasted the wingwalker beer from new York, Safeway has slabs for $50, you can mix n match with apa, not quite right pale ale, Belgium wheat and another called Dundee ipa.

The wheat tasted like mineral water. Nice and easy to drink, but very little flavour.

The Dundee IPA is a little more challenging, though not a pinch on a home brewed beer. It is one of my go to cheap commercial Pale Ales (it's not an IPA).

The Wingwalker Pale is nice enough, adequate flavour for a commercial.

The problem is, I had them when the kegs were empty, and after my taste buds had been reset with boring beer. They tasted pretty decent.

Then my AIPA came out. I tasted them again, and they were bland.

This is always the dilemna I have with commercial, average priced (not talking about Nogne O, or any more expensive beers) Pales - they're okay, but not a patch on what a homebrewer can knock out.

But for the price - jump on it.

Hope this wasn't too contradictory.

are they at coles or where in QLD ? (brisbane)

i wouldn't be an Australian unless i have had a dundee...

After a quick google search rj king wing walkker I gather it is a store brand beer aka woolies dry dock or platinum brand as no real brewery will put its name to it.

Picked up some Wingwalker Pale Ale from BWS last night, citrus hops, good price, pretty inoffensive, not even close to a good APA.

Bought the APA and the Belgian Wheat from a BWS

Didn't realise they were a store brand - it did seem odd that it was from New York - with the limited distribution of US beers here it was perplexing that a brewery I'd not heard of on the far side of the states would have beers in a BWS

Anyway the APA was ok - nothing terribly exciting - I found it a little thin for my liking

The Belgian American Wheat was really ordinary

I finished the evening off with a bottle of the MAD Brewers Hoppy Hefe - which really put things into perspective ^_^

I've had the Dundee a while ago - it was better than the Ale and the Belgian - but not great by any stretch. From memory it was a little cloying.

Cheers

Anyway the APA was ok - nothing terribly exciting - I found it a little thin for my liking

The Belgian American Wheat was really ordinary

I finished the evening off with a bottle of the MAD Brewers Hoppy Hefe - which really put things into perspective ^_^

I've had the Dundee a while ago - it was better than the Ale and the Belgian - but not great by any stretch. From memory it was a little cloying.

Cheers

The Wingwalker APA is ok, kind of like a thinner and less tasty version of Sierra Nevada.

Of late I've found local brews such as 4 Pines Pale and Vale Ale IPA to impress me more than some of these imports.

Of late I've found local brews such as 4 Pines Pale and Vale Ale IPA to impress me more than some of these imports.
Which is why they're putting these beers in all their supermarkets. Interest in US beers is growing amongst the common man and they are doing their level best to crush it. Just fill the shelves with underwhelming rubbish and people will stick with what they know. Much easier that way.

Latest posts

Back