Wing Cappers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Hope this is the correct place to post! Great forum by the way!

I am looking to get a wing capper, and I was wondering if you knew of where the cheapest place to buy one was. I've seen them for $18 in the US and 10 from the UK but the cheapest I have seen them on Ebay in Australia for about $45 including postage which seems a little steep! I was wondering if you guys knew of anywhere cheaper.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated :)

Not sure why you want to get a wing capper.

A bench capper does a better and easier job, and I believe is less likely to damage your bottles.

Where are you..????
And do not buy a wingcapper...
I have one you can have for postage cost..If i can find it..?
PJ

A lot of people have said wing cappers smash bottles, but I've never had that problem with mine
Though i have only ever used it on old tallies and grolsch/carlsberg stubbied
I do think it might smash corona or TED bottles

+1 For a bench capper

I own both, and never use my wing capper

Its a once off purchase that will last you a lifetime

Look at it as an investment. I have been bottling for a few years and I probably would have shot myself if I had not bought a bench capper a while ago (or moved to kegs which is on the cards anyway).

$50-60 for a piece of equipment that lasts, reduces headaches and the possibility of breakages (not used a wing but hammer capper saw me lose 2-3 bottles per single batch).

I bought mine at cellar plus in Melb which was $10 cheaper than grain and grape.

You could also try here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bottle-crown-ca...=item3a7c0472d7 but anything can happen in 6 days.

Wow such an active forum! Thanks for the responses.

I do agree it would be a good, investment getting one, but this is only my first batch and I don't want to make a huge investment when there's a chance (a very small one mind you) that I might not continue!

poppa joe that sounds like a great offer. I'm in Melbourne CBD if it helps?

Invest, then if, and its a big IF things dont work out (read - When you upgrade to kegs) you will always get your money back on Ebay

I have been keeping an eye out for one for a friend, and they always retain their value

Welcome to a great pass-time

Wow such an active forum! Thanks for the responses.

I do agree it would be a good, investment getting one, but this is only my first batch and I don't want to make a huge investment when there's a chance (a very small one mind you) that I might not continue!

poppa joe that sounds like a great offer. I'm in Melbourne CBD if it helps?
If you're really undecided why not use PET bottles till you decide if you're ready to commit

Grays online had a number of bench cappers on there at the weekend. From memory they were about $30 and in the hospitality session - perhaps do a search on "bottle capper". Can't vouch for the quality as it was a brand I'm not familiar with.

I myself use a superautomatica. It is a great piece of equipment which I highly recommend. A three years old its relatively new. It has bottled about 60 batches and is as good as the day I brought it.

I would have a go at the one Manticle put up..
East Keillor not to far from you..
I have a Superautomattica as well...$10.00 + Postage..
which would be more than the one Manticle put up..
Not as shiney as the one on the net. Got a bit rusty..
But the bottles don't care.
Your choice....
Cheers
PJ
PM if you want..

Sorry mate, I'm down in Melbourne! The Superautomatica seems a good bet, might go for it!

EDIT: poppa joe, sent you a PM mate!

Thank you for all your help! I'm already enjoying this hobby immensely and I haven't even racked my first batch!

Big W have the Super Automatica for <$50 - its marketed as a Brigalow bench capper

Sorry mate, I'm down in Melbourne! The Superautomatica seems a good bet, might go for it!

EDIT: poppa joe, sent you a PM mate!

Thank you for all your help! I'm already enjoying this hobby immensely and I haven't even racked my first batch!

Hey Econwatson,
I know this is your first batch. My advice is, dont rack it. Youll need to do some reading on racking the reasons for racking. Generally, its not needed. Sometimes it is, but you need a good reason to rack off the lees. (Too much to discuss here). You can ferment, crash chill and package all happily from the one fermenter.

Note - racking might mean something different to you or you're not using the term properly? Racking is moving from one fermenter to another vessel, normally to finish off fermenting in the 2nd vessel.

James .
East Kellior one is Stilll available he is quoting $5.00 To post
I got quoted $14.85..They weigh 2 Kilos..He has a Phone No.as well
May be worth a go...
Cheers
PJ
PS...I dont have Paypal.....

Hi guys.

Hope this is the correct place to post! Great forum by the way!

I am looking to get a wing capper, and I was wondering if you knew of where the cheapest place to buy one was. I've seen them for $18 in the US and 10 from the UK but the cheapest I have seen them on Ebay in Australia for about $45 including postage which seems a little steep! I was wondering if you guys knew of anywhere cheaper.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated :)

Back in the early 90s when I started homebrewing my coopers kit came with a wing capper. After it chipped a few too many bottles, I replaced it with a bench capper.

Why on earth you'd actually buy one I don't know.

The only thing worse would be a hammer capper

PS: my bench capper is shitty, the super automatica ones have a much smoother action... but it works... these days I use swing-tops and kegs, and only bottle with it for comps, but I do still use it ;)

PPS: this is what a shitty old school brigalow capper looks like benchcapper.jpg ( not mine, but spookily similar, right down to the board)

he only thing worse would be a hammer capper

Well, it's funny you should mention that...
PfUHf.png

The most terrifying thing I've ever tried to use!

I've got a capper from PJ on the way, very excited!

Thanks for the advice mckenry, I think I'll wait till thursday before I go ahead and bottle. Been peeling labels off bottles in preparation, thank god I only have to do it once!

econowatson..
Jusy get your Boxcutter ready..You are going to need it...
To slice the tape off... :D
Cheers
PJ

Back