Wine is on track to overtake beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-18/drink-choice-shifting-from-beer-to-wine/4966018

Wine is on track to overtake beer as the nation's drink of choice.

The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) show the average person is drinking 44 fewer standard drinks of beer than they were in 2008.
But wine consumption is up, by an average of seven glasses per person over the same time period.

The ABS found the average person consumes 331 standard drinks of beer each year compared to 304 glasses of wine.
Overpriced beer coming home to roost ... ?

Does this mean Australia is becoming more refined, or are we losing our cultural heritage?

goon-of-fortune.jpg

Yes, refined.

There's a few who may not agree.

aa.jpg

I have little care for preserving a culture of downing flavourless piss. I think many people are turning away from megaswill, either to craft beer or wine. It doesn't bother me at all.

black_labb said:
I have little care for preserving a culture of downing flavourless piss. I think many people are turning away from megaswill, either to craft beer or wine. It doesn't bother me at all.
I think some people are turning away from megaswill. I still believe the majority of Aussie beer drinkers don't drink craft brews, in fact they don't otherwise the megga breweries would not be there.

Sorry but it's a fact of life, like it or not.

As for wine? I drink wine with my meal every night and have done for megga years.

Batz said:
I think some people are turning away from megaswill. I still believe the majority of Aussie beer drinkers don't drink craft brews, in fact they don't otherwise the megga breweries would not be there.

As for wine? I drink wine with my meal every night and have done for megga years.
You are 100% right there Batz, was having a BBQ at a mates place a couple of months ago and he was complaining about all the "poofy beers" that were on tap at the bar he went to a function at. He was quit pissed off that "gold" wasn't on tap. Unfortunately he is not alone.

"The ABS found the average person consumes 331 standard drinks of beer each year"

That's less than 1 a day.

Fair to say there would be more above average people here.

Batz said:

I dunno, I was part of a Yarra Valley bucks party last year and strangely the two guys wearing CD hats (who probably haven't been exposed to much/any craft beer) liked a Bock the most of all the beers in the tour. It was pleasantly surprising, although I doubt they've changed their drinking habits over it.

Yob said:
331 standard glasses year?

They need to poll here…
It would be very interesting to see home brew-related statistics. Does anyone know of any for Australia?

They sell Coopers kits at Kmart for koala's sake, there must be a few of us.

Batz said:

When I say many I don't mean the majority of people, but I think it is clear that macrobreweries are declining in terms of consumption and microbreweries and wine are increasing in terms of consumption. I don't expect the macrobreweries to close down and they have a clear place in the market. People are just realising there are more options that are becoming available to them (and in some circumstances they feel that not drinking "xxb" won't make their drinking mates look down on them)

I am not against megaswill, I like that there are people acknowledging and trying different things.

I went to a small music festival about 1 hour from home on the weekend.

The choice of beers were XXXX Gold, VB and Guinness, (not including my own selection), when I ordered a couple of Guinness's, the bartender said that was all they had been selling. I said to him given the choice between the three it was no surprise.

A bit later on I got talking to a bloke from Austria, we got talking about beer and he absolutely loves Australian beer.

I gave him one of my Kolsch style beers and while he said it was delicious he also said he wouldn't have picked it as a Kolsch. Backhander taken in good spirits.

Don't diss my casks of Fruity Lexia :beerbang: - easy to squash down and hide the evidence.

Personally, from the point of view of my brewing hobby, I have no interest whatsoever in what the public drinks and have no desire in re educating their bogan tastebuds. Apart from a few samples that I buy from Dans etc I also have little interest in craft breweries - most of whom try to ape Sierra Nevada type beers. I can brew beers that are to my taste and I really prefer them to most commercials apart from true classics like Czech Pilsners.

Look at it this way, if you got onto a Holden Torana restoration forum, if such a thing exists, and you posed the question whether they felt that the public should drive Mazda 3 or Hyundai i30 the quite reasonable answer would be "who gives a feck". B)

Bribie G said:
Look at it this way, if you got onto a Holden Torana restoration forum, if such a thing exists, and you posed the question whether they felt that the public should drive Mazda 3 or Hyundai i30 the quite reasonable answer would be "who gives a feck". B)
Except this is the internet Bribie - So two clowns would have to have a 10 page "discussion" bout it before finally agreeing both their mothers are fat.

Edit: I actually bothered to "read" the article. How the hell does that pass for journalism? Is this what we're been reduced to? That's barely a fecking twitter post with reasonable punctuation!

I am an avid beer drinker and used to drink a lot of red wine but have lately given up the red and down the odd glass of white wine for its taste. If you are not just downing them for the sake of it then I think some wine is well worth drinking.

Having said that I am drinking Ballast Point Big Eye IPA this evening so there you go! BWS is now stocking them (at least my local).

Damian.

I love a drop of red, I always keep a few boxes around. Also don't mind dry white, usually a riesling.

But I will always prefer a beer.

The taxes on beer are ridiculous $60 + for a case of craft beer WTF. I drink cask dry red for meals at $14.00 for 5 litres not brilliant but certainly drinkable. When I am feeling flush splash out on a case of Bigeye IPA from Dan's but quite rarely. I got a taste for Henniger from Liquorland at $39.00 a case quite nice but they are currently out of stock.

Big bowl of bullshit.
Like all polls, who did they poll. Demographics? 50-60 yr old wine drinkers?

There is no.way this is correct. beer.drinkers vs wine drinkers in a small bottle shop in affluent.north Sydney sees turn away from beer sales = national News story.

Look up.another story and numbers of women drinking beer up.since release of low carb beers. What a load of crap.

Beer consumption at an all time low since local patron takes up home brew.....l

Latest posts

Back