Wine Fridge/Cooler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar problem with a freezer i got. The hump prevents the fermenter with the airlock on. Is it perfectly ok not to use the airlock?

Yes you dont need an airlock. I never use one just glad wrap and hold it on with the big o ring

Gladwrap ftw.

Have some problem with a small bar freezer. Had to get a 25L bunnings fermenter (downsize from 30L), and gladwrap for a lid.
Works great.

Even in my large fridge with ample room i use gladwrap on the 30L fermenters now. In fact i don't even know where my airlock is. Who cares still making good beer.

Cheers,
D80

I’ve used a wine fridge/STC1000 for many brews, works well in the shed and is not too bothered by the external temp, will CC down to 4-5 degrees. I covered in the glass door with foil to give the yeast some privacy while they rape and pillage, Before I moved to grad wrap I chopped the top spout off the airlock to fit it in as the heat pad took up those vital 10 cm. I can also get 2 cubes in, as long as I bung rather than tap them,
The main pissers are:
the internal shelf is weak and needs supporting, which is a good job for can of LME thats a bit long in the tooth,
also I have to pull the fermenter completely out if I want to add candy sugars, dry hop etc,

So basically no lid needed? Just the o ring and wrap.

Cheers

Yep, many on this forum use this method, the o ring keeps the bugs from getting in while letting co2 out,

appius said:
So basically no lid needed? Just the o ring and wrap.

Cheers
If you're confident enough you can leave the lid off entirely and just loosely cover the top with alfoil sprayed with sanitiser. Especially if your fermenter is in a brewfridge.

I used the airlock for the first 2 brews then changed to gladwrap.

My second FV is the new DIY Coopers one which doesn't have an airlock.

If the people at Coopers deem an airlock to be unnecessary, that is good enough for me.

Back