Wine Cellars & Home Brewing - Smh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks redbeard. i liked this part:

"They are a reticent lot, these wine-cellar owners; none of the cellar owners who spoke to The Sun-Herald would allow their names to be used, usually for insurance or security reasons."

wonder if there is an "aussiewinecellar.com" somewhere that they all post pics of their cellars?? doubt it. better if you scrounge for bits and pieces and build it yourself than pay tens of thousands to have it built for you.
joe

I saw this article last week but didnt post it as I decided it was another kick in the teeth to HBrs as it again didnt list any homebrewing contacts at the end of the article or do any decent research into HB. I suppose its not as bad as previous articles have been.

If your interested in cellar designs, then go into your local Vintage Cellars store and pick up a brochure on their recomnedeed celler builder. its a great catalougue to steal ideas from.

I saw this article last week but didnt post it as I decided it was another kick in the teeth to HBrs as it again didnt list any homebrewing contacts at the end of the article or do any decent research into HB. I suppose its not as bad as previous articles have been.

i agree no contact info for HBing is disappointing, but i dont see it as a "kick in the teeth". if i were to write a beer article and contrast it with wine, i would certainly focus more on the beer aspect, and it looks like the opposite is true for that article.
if anyone thats really keen on HBing saw the article, i dont think it would take too much effort for them to find out some good info on their own. we are a resourceful bunch afterall :D
joe

didnt mean 'kick in the teeth' as being slagged off, I meant is as in we got a raw deal again. we were almost portrayed as the poor inbred cousin to wine making. as I said it wasnt as bad as other articles. maybe eventually the researchers will actually spend some time and write a decent article. then again maybe we want to stay in slight obscurity so the govt doesnt decide to try and tax us!

wonder if there is an "aussiewinecellar.com" somewhere that they all post pics of their cellars?? doubt it.

link here

Strangely enough, there's another bloke who posts under the name 'Dig'.

Now this is a wine cellar

Park B. Smiths 8,000-square-foot wine cellar holds more than 65,000 bottles
14pour600.1.jpg

Doc

how many years of drinking is 65000 bottles?

1 bottle a night aprox 180years!

:lol: Got the standard nose in glass swirl shot in there too. Kind of the standard "sexy" pose for the wine tosser.

I'm over that shot after watching Stuart MacGill constantly do it in Uncorked. I'd give a fiver to see him spill some Cav Sav on his shirt.

Warren -

James Halliday's cellar is equially impressive (well at least in numbers and quality of wine - it doesnt look as swish as that). it hold something like that also and he freely admits he'll never drink/try most of it. he recons he looses a few cases per year to cork taint/rodents etc. I remember thinking rodents. bugger that if I had a celler that like and worth half of what his was it would be rodent proof so help me god.

It was all about wine and spending money on not needed cellars.......

Just another wanky filler for the lat'e set

yawn...

:lol: Got the standard nose in glass swirl shot in there too. Kind of the standard "sexy" pose for the wine tosser.

I call that harsh, waz, given the number of photos I've seen of myself at brewdays / judging days / pubcrawls / parties / weddings / funerals / family gatherings with my nose buried deep in a glass of beer.

link here

Strangely enough, there's another bloke who posts under the name 'Dig'.

DOH! (hangs head in shame) thanks dig.
oh well, i guess if i had that sort of money i'd have some sweet brewery set up so...
joe

It made a point of making the wine cellar owners seem rich and the beer brewers povo by comparison, but only wankers would fall for the spin anyway..

Well if I had a wine cellar it'd be full of lambic :p
I'd be too busy trying blending to be a Wayne Kerr.

I'm going to be rebuilding this year. I plan to include a 1500 bottle cellar in the plans (right next to the brewery). Hope you guys still speak to me next year... :(

\wonder if there is an "aussiewinecellar.com" somewhere that they all post pics of their cellars?? doubt it. better if you scrounge for bits and pieces and build it yourself than pay tens of thousands to have it built for you.
joe

Found this (clicky). Tho it seems to be a US site.

I'm going to be rebuilding this year. I plan to include a 1500 bottle cellar in the plans (right next to the brewery). Hope you guys still speak to me next year... :(

Makes a great deal of sense to me. If you get it right, it will serve you well for big beers that just keep getting better and better with age as well as helping to contain the breweriana so the rest of the house *looks* like a home... :)

Makes a great deal of sense to me. If you get it right, it will serve you well for big beers that just keep getting better and better with age as well as helping to contain the breweriana so the rest of the house *looks* like a home... :)

The Mrs will be very happy to get the idle fermenters and cubes out of the kitchen and the brewery off the back porch, it's true :)

We live in a modern town house (ie. built on a slab) so my only option is to kick Harry Potter from out under the stairs and clad that with insulation. It has always been a dream to have a cellar, even more so now that I know they're good for more than just storing bodies in :p. I really love the idea of having a server controlled cooler room too.

Latest posts

Back