Windows Xp Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi all Computer Gurus.

I am having lots of problems.

So far I cant access paypal or amazon - need to for bulk buys and to order the 3 books - brew like a monk, farmhouse ales and wild brews.
I have turned firewall off - no diff
cant adjust the security level - will not let me - currently on medium
Have enterted paypal and amazon in my trusted sites - no diff
cleared DNS Cache - no diff
Running AVG free edition.

I am new to XP - used to have win 98 and all was good.

Open to ideas and suggestions...

Please help.

What does it do GMK? Just not load the pages, fail to load some web plugin like a flash or activeX thing? Or does paypal just tell you to sod off as it doesn't like your browser?

just sent you a pm

also try this
start ,control pannel , security centre ,
turn off all security first then re try,
if that dose not work go back into security centre and click on internet option and go to advance tab and click restore defaults setting.
are running service pack 2.?

is this a copy of xp not the original?

missing cabs ken can be a pain :blink:
del

it was defaulting to msn search - but now will not load page.

Delboy - i dont think i was having any problems before u installed bearshare on the PC..but i might be wrong.

it is not a licenced copy...

Is it all sites, or only some? Is it only secure sites?

Check in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

there should be a file in there called "hosts"
Open it in notepad. There should only be one line that says
127.0.0.1 localhost

plus some comments. If there's lots of lines, you have a virus probably.

Also try

netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log

Run a free online av scan (sorry but AVG is shit) at

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

not a licenced copy :eek:
your doomed ken.kiss your computer good bye.once microsoft gets onto you your stuffed.
the father inlaw had some dubious copies of xpensive microsoft programs and some how or other fell adrift with it.got shit loads of ms warnings etc then his comp got locked. :( ended up turfing the comp as he just couldnt get any joy out of it or dump the copy and start again.nothing worked.mind you he also sent ms some heavy worded emails telling them what to do with there stuff.

cheers
big d

jgriffin said:
Is it all sites, or only some? Is it only secure sites?

Check in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

there should be a file in there called "hosts"
Open it in notepad. There should only be one line that says
127.0.0.1 localhost

plus some comments. If there's lots of lines, you have a virus probably.

Also try

Run a free online av scan (sorry but AVG is shit) at

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
[post="87795"][/post]​

Host file looked good - just like u said.

this line

how do i run this - from a dos propmt or from run prompt

Ken...

runing the trendmicro scan and security scan as well.

will let u know what the results are.

give bill a ring ken im sure he will help you out. ;)

ken bearshare dose not effect your registery but you can uninstall it .
any how we put that on after you showed me that paypal was an isue.

i think you have an iffy copy of ms XP more the case like i said sometimes you will get missing files also the virus issue might be a problem .
and if you are running a burnt non licenced version you will not be able to retrive all the patches either. i think big d HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD .
regardless off what you have herd ms are pricks and you will have glitches when it comes to copied stuff .
my guru friend as i said before ken had the same problem then he pain 134 buck for a legit copy and reformatted and put on the legit copy and bingo no more probs.
i am not saying all you other members are wrong it is just sometimes you can be unluky with burt or "PIRATED"COPIES I dont use them at all :blink:

del :ph34r:

good to see im not alone on this issue delboy.it cost the father inlaw a new comp $$$$ and he has hated ms with a passion ever since.a high price to pay when it comes down to legit and copy versions of ms gear.if you get caught out

delboy said:
ken bearshare dose not effect your registery but you can uninstall it .
any how we put that on after you showed me that paypal was an isue.

i think you have an iffy copy of ms XP more the case like i said sometimes you will get missing files also the virus issue might be a problem .
and if you are running a burnt non licenced version you will not be able to retrive all the patches either. i think big d HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD .
regardless off what you have herd ms are pricks and you will have glitches when it comes to copied stuff .
my guru friend as i said before ken had the same problem then he pain 134 buck for a legit copy and reformatted and put on the legit copy and bingo no more probs.
i am not saying all you other members are wrong it is just sometimes you can be unluky with burt or "PIRATED"COPIES I dont use them at all :blink:

del :ph34r:
[post="87812"][/post]​

Unless you what you are doing ;)

Edit: I don't condone using illegal software as that would be illegal :eek:

presicly .
ok ken here is my offer

bring your computer to me on saturday arvo will fix and reformat will it is doing its busines we will drink some bruskies and make some partials
you can stay over and then go home with a clean system and set up your isp again and put a few things on you want i will even set it up with a rigy digy copy .
what do say to that and we can catch up and see the bar room and pick up your displays and we willalso fix you up for the refract .
sounds like the go to me ?

del

jgriffin it is only $hit if you dont set it up correctly and do the updates .
AVG 7 XXXX free is a direct clone of there proversion and the updates are a month behind from what i gather but it has now been certified by ms any how .

good value for money in my books even though it is free you still get online support.if you want it

but we all have our favourites antivirus is a bit like the beer we make not everyone likes the same thing.

del

aarrgghh being an ol pirie boy from way back that would be a great offer.snap it up ken and check out delboys rig.

lifes short
travel and sample
big d

big d were you from pirie mate ?

then you must remember mick tattoli the builder ?

del

spent the first 1-5 years there.just missed out by a few months of being born there
then the family moved to adelaide.dont remember too many people xcept the neighbours over the road.

GMK,

You are obviously getting some kind of error when you try to connect to PayPal and Amazon?

I would think about contacting your ISP and checking your internet settings, although I suspect they may be fine.

You may not be able to change if you do not have admin rights or sufficient privileges. Anyway just set the security level to Internet and check your custom levels, most of these sites such as paypal etc require active x and java so make sure they are enabled.

You could also download Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Firefox is pretty reliable.

I guess the final question is, whom setup your PC?

Back