Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Win 7 on 2 laptops at work...I aint upgrading them..

Linux at home.

Very divided views on this so far seems some people had no problems some loads of problems. My Win 8.1 desktop has the downloaded files but has not received the notification to update yet. My Win 7 laptop I managed to cock up by doing a disc cleanup and managed to blow away most of the update which has completely thrown the Online Update Service it has tried to download 2.5Gb for the last 2 days then says failed. The update is about 4.5 Gb.

The easiest way is to just dwnload the ISO direct from Microsoft and install that still works as a free upgrade.

I have decided to wait a while until the major bugs or sorted before updating you have a year to do it for free anyway.

Remember to clone your hard drive before upgrading then it is dead easy to go back. BTW not managed to crash 8.1 yet so far but had success with 7 on a few occasions.

Google Chrome has had about 3 updates in the last week or so..

If you've got Windows Media Centre (not to be confused with Windows Media Player) running on your current version of Windows operating system be aware that its not supported on the new Windows 10.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How to fix Win 10 issues

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Except when they release kernels that break wine :( why oh why ... I'd have thought that wine would be a must test on a kernel release.

Otherwise, awesome OS, just wish my missus would start using it.

How to fix apple issues

sledgehammer-466x350.jpg

And now Google Chrome has decided that it wont support Java and flash now..

Ducatiboy stu said:
And now Google Chrome has decided that it wont support Java and flash now..
Wasn't that back in April though ? Damn Google keeps coming up with updates every few days must be using Microsoft Engineers. Windows 10 first service pack due on 10th August.

Windows 7 will be supported for another 5 years, I'm not changing. After the dreadful Windows 8 stuff up I'd say it's the main reason that PC sales have fallen - home users in particular are just hanging onto their old machines running 7 or even XP and using Android tablets for more and more activities.

The only reason I use my PC nowadays is to browse forums, as I'm a touch typist (will eventually get off my arse and buy a bluetooth keyboard for my Galaxy S10 tablet). And to play Games. It's also handy for printing out my lotto tickets to stick on the fridge, but apart from that very little usage. I check AHB, a couple of news outlets, weather and emails when I'm sitting on the bog.

The other brilliant aspect of Android devices is that when you turn them on, you are right back where you were last session, no archaic 1980s bootup as with PCs.

Ducatiboy stu said:
win pagefile.sys drives me nuts
Why ??

I got round to updating my desktop and Laptop to 10 this week and it takes a longtime on a slow internet connection but went dead smoothly no hitches at all and I upgraded from home to pro on the desktop.
Actually is not bad at all 100% better than 8 for a PC and also better than 7. Lots of settings you can adjust or change to make it like you want it and fairly easy to do. It is not very heavy on resources and 99% of my programs work fine straight off.

Switch off that Wi Fi Sharing thing and you will be sweet. Networking is really simple to set up too.

Seeing as it is free for a year if you have 7 or 8 why not? . You do have to make sure your old OS's are fully updated first though for the online upgrade to work.

P.S. the Edge Web Browser is the fastest I have ever seen on my computers and I have Chrome fully tweaked for maximum speed.

Tropical_Brews said:
Because it decides update the page file on the HDD at random times and stops anything working for a minute or 2. HDD is nearly worn out from it

No wonder I went Linux

Ducatiboy stu said:
Because it decides update the page file on the HDD at random times and stops anything working for a minute or 2. HDD is nearly worn out from it

No wonder I went Linux
Can't say I have ever seen that in any version of windows although I just lock the pagefile on C with a fixed size of 3 x amount of ram. Just got a Samsung SSD to put in the lappy to see Win boot up in 5 seconds.. :p

Latest posts

Back