Windouree Gold Vienna

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Anyone use this malt?

I am running low on light Munich ( JWM ) , and have ordered more , they don't have it this shipment , and suggested I try Windouree gold vienna instead.

I am not I a hurry and can wait , but wondered if it is worth trying this malt instead of the JW light Munich

Batz

From what I am told Windouree is 6-10 ebc , compared to JWM light munich @ 18 ebc

hi batz
ive just used it in an octoberfest but it is way down the track before i can tell how it goes.
reckon it will be good

cheers
big d

Thanks Dave , I am tempted to give it a try , I just don't want 25 kg of malt too different from munich

i just added 5kg of it to my main bulk buy to see what its like.i just wish it was as simple as going to a local hbs and buying some but alas the tyranny of distance rears its ugly head. :angry:

Nobody else can help me out here?

Batz, Wendouree Gold is similar in colour to an ale malt but does not have the same dextrinous body. You could consider it a very pale Munich but it once again has a lighter flavour than the Munich. You can use up to 100% if you want but a better tasting beer will come from a 30 to 60% mix with Pilsner malt - all depending on the style you want. Wendouree Gold will give a good maltiness and slightly dry finish. Mash at 65 to 66C for best results.

Wes.

Haven't tried it myself - but wessmith posted the following specs in an earlier thread

Wendouree Gold Vienna
Moisture: 4.3%
Extract fine grind dry basis: 83.8%
Colour EBC: 9.5
Total protein: 9.8%
Kolbach Index: 47.8
Diastatic power: 190

I seem to remember some discussion on chat one night suggesting some problems someone was having with their sparge using it??

Dave at Goliath calls it a "darn fine malt", someone else can surely help Batz out here?

[/B]EditSorry wes - must have been typing as you were sending yours.

Thankyou Wes
Sounds like a nice malt but not really what I want for the brews I do with Munich

much appreciated

Batz

Back