Winch - Is This What You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Is this the sort of winch to consider for lifting BIAB bag?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-3000lbs-Ele...=item3f065270c4

12V option is somewhat cheaper than 240V. Can get it for around $70 delivered rather than pay the "buy it now" price through same supplier.

I find that my single pulley system is is still a bit tough to lift and invariably end up spilling hot wort everywhere.

:rolleyes:

edit....as long as your bag of grain isn`t more than 3000 lbs {that`s one and a quarter ton} you should be right with that winch

Is this the sort of winch to consider for lifting BIAB bag?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-3000lbs-Ele...=item3f065270c4

12V option is somewhat cheaper than 240V. Can get it for around $70 delivered rather than pay the "buy it now" price through same supplier.

I find that my single pulley system is is still a bit tough to lift and invariably end up spilling hot wort everywhere.

Personally I don't need to spend $100 to lift 5kg of grain plus some water.I do get a bit of spillage as i lift the bag with one hand and pull the rope with the other. Even if i did have trouble this looks a little heavy duty for me.

Do yourself a favour and spend that money on an esky and mash in the bag in the esky, just drain through the esky tap and squeeze etc in the esky itself. Use existin pot/whatever to boil.

Esky can also be used to cart around cold beer I hear. Some even have wheels.

PS: just giving you a tangent

I miss my pulley set up from my last house.. really gotta build a new one
My opinion is buy what you want but 240v would be better and something that is better suited ie. smaller might go well

Ive come to the realisation a couple of years ago that this isnt just about making cheap beer anymore and that its becoming an expensive hobby :p
Although SWMBO still refuses to let me drop money on a breaumiester LOL

Do yourself a favour and spend that money on an esky and mash in the bag in the esky, just drain through the esky tap and squeeze etc in the esky itself. Use existin pot/whatever to boil.

Esky can also be used to cart around cold beer I hear. Some even have wheels.

PS: just giving you a tangent

If you're going to get an esky, why would you still use a bag?

Think outside the box. Use the bag as the manifold and the esky as the lautering system. If you are happy with the cloudy runoff of biab, it's not a hassle whatsoever to do this. If he wants to later mod the esky etc, that's later...
He finds it hard to lift the grain so this is a method to drain the wort from the grain, avoiding the lift and hold etc.

Edit: spelling, I don't want TB on my back for abusing biab. I swear, it's the phone.

I got a pulley that loops over a few times from bunnings for pretty cheap, lot easier than a single pulley.

I've got a couple of s/s pulleys (s/s housing, some hard plastic runners) from the local boating place. Lifts the grain for my 100L easy enough and is small and light/portable.

edit: as a bonus no motors to stuff up etc

QldKev

This is the go,
ten or fifteen bucks from bunnings,less if you already have the single pulley.Will lift 50 kg without too much effort.
pulley.JPG

Latest posts

Back