Willow Jerrycans Deforming?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a Willow jerrycan that has a decided list to starboard and some creasing around the corners at the base. I don't no-chill, so there's no prolonged exposure to very hot wort or water. My standard cleaning regimen involves flushing the bulk of the crud out with clean, cold water, napisan in about 4 litres of boiling water, a good shake, some resting on each of the 4 flat sides, dumping the cruddy water, then filling with hot tap water (50c) and more napisan before leaving it in the sun for a couple of days to soak the hop aroma out of it.

It looks like it's getting worse in the sun, and looked to be bulging at the base while it was fermenting.

The other jerry I have is exhibiting none of this, along with the Bunnings cubes, which are all fine.

Do I have a dud, or is this something that others have noticed too?

Cheers,

FB.

dont put in the sun, there is no need to. All I do is put 1.7lts of boiling water in with sodium percarbonate seal up tight and shake till the cube it back into shape loosen the lid and let it sit till it cools then screw the lid on and soak each side and top and then drain and sanitise when needed

dont put in the sun, there is no need to. All I do is put 1.7lts of boiling water in with sodium percarbonate seal up tight and shake till the cube it back into shape loosen the lid and let it sit till it cools then screw the lid on and soak each side and top and then drain and sanitise when needed

I never used to let them sit in the sun, but I found it's the only way to get rid of the hop smell from the plastic, which given that the last dry hop I did was 200g of Amarillo is considerable!

I never used to let them sit in the sun, but I found it's the only way to get rid of the hop smell from the plastic, which given that the last dry hop I did was 200g of Amarillo is considerable!

I have the same problem of hop smell in my plastic fermenters, I started
Using sodium metabisalfuate and citric acid did work for about 80-90% of the smell
And its also a sanatiser when its acidic (I'm lead to believe ) but don't go crazy with it,
the Sulfide smell can be strong.

I put boiling water and napisan in mine,enough to cover the crusty krausen ring and turn upside down but loosen the bung,which is then at the top, so air can get in as the water cools and does not deform the vessel.

Back