Williamswarn Beer Awards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
There are some VERY credible beer judges among us on this site,
At the end of the day its about the beer not the equipment.
exactly, so why make such a fuss about the williamswarn if you don't own one?

Yob said:
There are some VERY credible beer judges among us on this site,

At the end of the day its about the beer not the equipment.
Bingo

So how about then - when a WW post comes up - it is kept 'all about the beer'

Instead of pointless bleating about cost, bling, claims made marketing a product etc etc...

Agree on one thing - its all about the beer.

roger mellie said:
Bingo

Instead of pointless bleating about cost, bling, claims made marketing a product etc etc...

The claims are the problem, they basically boil down to "If you're not making beer with this, your beer is shit", this is knocking our beer
Of course we're going to react...

Parks said:
That really isn't the point. The point is it would actually give some credibility to the the product based on judging which can't be controlled by WW. Some of the claims WW say their system can do which normal home brewers (us) can't do are pure bull.
I class myself as a 'normal home brewer' as well - I have a conical fermenter that has built in temperature control, carbonates the beer whilst it ferments, has a decent method of clarifying and dispensing - and I absolutely love it. I am making more beer than I used to - and on the whole I think my harshest critic (SWMBO) agrees - the quality is as good if not better than what I made in plastic or my 30L SS conicals.

We all know that some of the claims made are bunkum - thats marketing. The claim of 'credibility' however stands on its own - the bit about winning the asian beer awards wasn't made up (unlike some of the other stuff that WW spruiks)

roger mellie said:
We all know that some of the claims made are bunkum - thats marketing. The claim of 'credibility' however stands on its own - the bit about winning the asian beer awards wasn't made up (unlike some of the other stuff that WW spruiks)
This bit doesnt make sense. Is it credible or not.

Credibility in relation to the comment made previously

"The point is it would actually give some credibility to the the product based on judging which can't be controlled by WW. Some of the claims WW say their system can do which normal home brewers (us) can't do are pure bull"

All about the beer Stu.

roger mellie said:
Bingo

Sorry mate. I don't think you get to decide when it's "about the beer". We're not making these claims about ww. They're making it themselves. We're not the ones taking it away from the beer, they are. Yes it's just marketing crap, but it's more of the same from them. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a fancy fermenter (which I'm not), then I'm entitled to see what kind of people are taking my money.

roger mellie said:
Credibility in relation to the comment made previously

"The point is it would actually give some credibility to the the product based on judging which can't be controlled by WW. Some of the claims WW say their system can do which normal home brewers (us) can't do are pure bull"

All about the beer Stu.
If they have made other stuff up......then there are not very credible....

I would happily buy one for the money they are asking, but the marketing and the public statements by WW suggests to me that it's a piece of junk that is only suitable for people who lack the capacity for critical thought.

lukiferj said:
Sorry mate. I don't think you get to decide when it's "about the beer". We're not making these claims about ww. They're making it themselves. We're not the ones taking it away from the beer, they are. Yes it's just marketing crap, but it's more of the same from them. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a fancy fermenter (which I'm not), then I'm entitled to see what kind of people are taking my money.
Respectfully I think thats bollocks

WW started a beer competition for owners of WW beer machines. Wobbly posts a link ('cos its about beer right) - The proletariat bleat loudly about exclusivity and start a pissing contest (again). What is wrong with that? I tried to explain that despite the marketing campaign and the fact that some of their gen is bollocks - the fact is that they entered a beer in an international beer awards (more than once) and won - beating commercial entries.

I imagine that somewhere in Australia there is (for example)a Ducati Owners Club - where on occasion someone decides to have a gathering of all the pretty red bikes that their owners have (no doubt) paid many many thousands of dollars on - all polished and gleaming for all to see. There will be much self admiration and possibly even self flagellation at said club gathering. Someone might even win an award for the best example of a Ducati all polished and gleaming like. The competition is not open to (cocks) that ride Harleys (for another example) because they is cocks - right?

What sort of car do you drive ? Surely this was a similar 'big money' purchase? I really hope its from Scandanavia - I'm told they are really nice people. (Jeez I hope your car isn't from Germany)

WTF has happened to this forum?? It used to be about good stuff like suffocating kittens in airlocks, slagging off idiots who import chinese hops grown in sewerage tanks and laughing at Tonys spelling (rice gulls)? IGU.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Nice dig Roger.

But Ducati really are the best bikes. :)
Cheers Stu - I did have my eyes on a S1000RR a while ago - guess I will have to start looking at Husqvarnas now.

Damn you Lukifer

Sorry mate. Not having a dig at you or trying to start a pissing contest. I probably should have posted it in the other ww thread as it is about the product/company, not about the ww beer "awards".

I like this Roger bloke.
Sorry, I'm probably guilty for derailing this thread, it was the first one to come up when I searched to post the offending advertisement.

Roger I think your Ducati owners club analogy falls down as the WW competition made a big deal out of including commercial beers and beating them.

It's like if the Ducati boys brought in a model from 5 other manufacturers and beat them in a race so they could say "See! Ducatis are the best!"

Mattwa said:
Roger I think your Ducati owners club analogy falls down as the WW competition made a big deal out of including commercial beers and beating them.

It's like if the Ducati boys brought in a model from 5 other manufacturers and beat them in a race so they could say "See! Ducatis are the best!"
Oh yes - there are holes in that analogy all right - but the point of poking fun at an exclusive competition for owners of a certain type of brewery is valid - putting the commercial entries was to keep the judges honest - and they weren't told there were commercial entries prior to judging.

Of course it was a fantasy - I mean you couldn't actually organise a Ducati club gathering and expect more than about half of the owners to turn up - they would be stripping down their bikes looking for the phantom electrical glitch that prevents their overpriced pieces of italian beauty from working (some of the time)

Should have brought a BMW Stu.

roger mellie said:
Of course it was a fantasy - I mean you couldn't actually organise a Ducati club gathering and expect more than about half of the owners to turn up - they would be stripping down their bikes looking for the phantom electrical glitch that prevents their overpriced pieces of italian beauty from working (some of the time)

Should have brought a BMW Stu.
I'm sure if you had it at a cafe and put on free lattes you'd have a few takers!

(I ride a Honda BTW)

Yeah...welll...

ducati-750ss.jpg

Latest posts

Back