Will wort keep for 24 hours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
In the middle of a brew as I type and the plastic hydrometer tube I use is now out of shape due to me pouring in hot wort ( I know, what a nob !) so now I can't take a reading and I will need to add water after the wort has cooled down in order to reach my target OG and make the volume up to around 20 litres depending on the OG. So as its Sunday and no HBS open to replace the tube, I am wondering if I put the cooled wort into the fermenter overnight without pitching the yeast and keep at room temperature, buy a new tube tomorrow, take a reading and add the required water to achieve the OG I need?

So the question is, will the wort keep overnight and if so what temperature should I keep it at?

Any other options?

Put you wort in the fermenter, sanitise your hydrometer and float it in the wort in the fermenter. You'll get you OG, and know how much to top it off.

Other option is to head to somewhere like K-mart/BigW and see if they have a brewing section (they also might have a narrow, tall piece of glassware/vase you could use).

JD

24 hours is plenty of time to invite wild yeast and bacteria. Why not pull a sample from the fermenter and keep in a jar in the fridge until you get hydrometer? Pitch yeast into main batch in the meantime. Checking gravity isn't the most important step so why risk the batch?

To answer the second question. Store wort below 5 degress to prevent spontaneous fermentation.

Everyone on here has melted a plastic piece if equipment at some point too.

Happy brewing

I did this once, put it straight under cold water and it straightened itself out. Gotta be worth a try?

personally I would've just guessed and pitched anyway .

you could always adjust later with more water or some dex

I do wonder why HBS anrt open sundays. its a potential brew day. plenty of people needing supplies

Many thanks for the ideas guys, I went with JD's suggestion and fingers crossed it turns out ok.

Just as an aside how many SG points would you expect to drop in 24 hours?

personally I would've just guessed and pitched anyway .

you could always adjust later with more water or some dex

I do wonder why HBS anrt open sundays. its a potential brew day. plenty of people needing supplies
Wages bro... wages

Close, but having run a HBS for about 20 years it had a lot more to do with
One day a week to punch out the alarm clock and role over.
Wander off to the local drink some beer watch some footy, listen to a band, indulge in some attitude adjustment.
In summer hit the beach and look at something other than well frankly you guys...
Probably all the same shite you guys want a day a week off to do.

I tried opening on Sundays for about 6 months, averaged about 5 customers a day most of whom wanted something like an emergency replacement for an hydrometer/tube and spent less than $10, not really worth it.
Mark

Latest posts

Back