Will Treacle Colour Ferment Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbeer

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to make a belgian dubbel and was going to make my own candy syrup. Then I thought of treacle and was wondering if the colour stays in the beer after fermentation.
cheers

No it wont (much) add colour you keep it.
Mark

Also you will get a fairly distinct molasses flavour if you use a lot of treacle not to everybodies taste.

I've added a touch into some dark candy sugar I've made and it seems to add that extra dimension to the candy sugar.I only added 1-2 tablespoons of treacle per kg of white sugar used which seems to be a good level. Too much would give too much of a mollasses flavour, but a bit seems good.

A lot of it, but not all of it.

When I add dark candi syrup (from craftbrewer - freakin delicious and well worth the cost) the trub goes really dark.

I reckon a lot of it settles out as a yeast byproduct, or gets flocced out somehow.

If you're making a belgian - use belgian candi - nothing compares.

Hi,
I want to make a belgian dubbel and was going to make my own candy syrup. Then I thought of treacle and was wondering if the colour stays in the beer after fermentation.
cheers

I reckon treacle would be to much of a good thing personally. To many impurities - that's not a bad thing, mind you - just a bunch of strong flavours, and you'll be stuck with the flavours regardless of what happens to the colour.
My current batch has plenty of personality from using plain old home made candy sugar (nice and dark) and malts.

Get a candy thermometer, a bunch of sugar and some lemon juice (optional). It's a piece of piss and another excuse to drink, cos it's hot work you know.

Get a candy thermometer, a bunch of sugar and some lemon juice (optional). It's a piece of piss and another excuse to drink, cos it's hot work you know.
Alcohol and boiling sugar :wacko:

Latest posts

Back