Will this work? Split batch - Hefe and Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher

Reaction score
Brewed 2 cubes of wort for a Hefe last week. Simple 50/50 pils/wheat malt and a touch of dark Munich. 1044 OG.

While it's still warm here I'm thinking of fermenting one cube with a saison yeast (my first saison). Anyone done a similar grist or have an idea how this will turn out? I'm happy to experiment, but don't want to waste precious delicious weizenwort if this will produce an average beer.

Most recipes for a saison seem to call for flaked or unmalted wheat. But I'm not 100% sure why.

2 great beers from 1, get into it.

Sounds great.

Currently drinking what's left of a Saison and a summer ale made from a triple batch.

90% pils
10% wheat

Cube
1- 22 ibu cube hop of galaxy and citra (steam ale)
2 - 15 ibu cube hop of Amarillo (summer ale)
3 - 30 ibu of herkules . Mini boil in side pot for 60mins (Saison)

Just food for thought anyway, makes for efficient brew days, and I'm happy with results.

What ibu is the wort? Will you need a mini boil or are you happy with what your starting with.

Sounds nice Tahoose .......It's 13- 14ibu from memory. Seems a bit low for saison style, but a might give it a go anyway.

Yeah mate, give it a go. High carbonation with a Saison gives you a higher perception of bitterness anyway.

Should be able to figure out what it tastes like in 5-6 weeks anyway.

Back