Will This Taste Like Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmccrone

Reaction score
My misses has decided that she likes this cider with ginger in it and as it happened i had a 5 litre starter (bohemian pils) sitting on the kitchen table. So i shot off to the supermarket and brought 6 litres of preservative free apple juice and tipped the it in on top of a about an inch of the starter left in the bottom, chopped up some ginger and popped it into the fermenting fridge along with the larger.

Am i going to ruin my reputation as a skilled brewer with this concoction?

My misses has decided that she likes this cider with ginger in it and as it happened i had a 5 litre starter (bohemian pils) sitting on the kitchen table. So i shot off to the supermarket and brought 6 litres of preservative free apple juice and tipped the it in on top of a about an inch of the starter left in the bottom, chopped up some ginger and popped it into the fermenting fridge along with the larger.

Am i going to ruin my reputation as a skilled brewer with this concoction?

I think you generally want to boil up the ginger and use the liquid instead of throwing the ginger directly into the fermenter. I would assume the ginger would have had all sorts of nasties living on it.

I think you generally want to boil up the ginger and use the liquid instead of throwing the ginger directly into the fermenter. I would assume the ginger would have had all sorts of nasties living on it.

Yep. Last time I tried raw ginger It went very funky. Lots of lacto and stuff on ginger.

Might get lucky though. Apart from the ginger, the aldi juice method seems to work well for a lot of people. Will probably end up too dry though if she likes a sweeter cider (and if its the cider with ginger in it that I'm thinking of it is very sweet indeed).

You could try adding some ginger cordial when serving to get the ginger and sweetness...

Cheers
Dave

i used straight ginger in my ginger beer and i had no issues although i cleaned it up got rid of the skin and any ugly bits

Just soak your ginger in some brandy over night then toss the whole lot in to ferment. A bit of extra booze never hurts ;)

Latest posts

Back