Will Brew Be O.k If On Seconary For 4 Weeks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot

Reaction score
Hi all,
Wondering what would be best of the following 2 options.
I work away for 3 weeks at a time, and am home for 3 or 6 weeks, so my brew schedule has to work around this.
I am now at work but have a Smurto's GA (pitched 2nd Jan) and a partial sparkling ale with NS (pitched 6th Jan) in secondary jerry cans, in ferment fridge @ 18 deg.
The Smurto's GA was nearing completion, the sparkling NS neaded another week when I left so kept both in ferment fridge.
I have showed my wife how to close lid on jerry and move to serving fridge when I let here know.
I was going to give them both 4 weeks from pitching then move to fridge.I have read alot from here and there, and think as long as sanitation was good there shouldn't be to much drama in leaving it till I get home (6 weeks since pitch for GA and 5 for NS) Palmer even recomends a longer ferment.
I really don't want to F..k these ones up as they were tasting spot on.
What is the word on the street move to fridge or leave?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers Clayton.

Hi all,
Wondering what would be best of the following 2 options.
I work away for 3 weeks at a time, and am home for 3 or 6 weeks, so my brew schedule has to work around this.
I am now at work but have a Smurto's GA (pitched 2nd Jan) and a partial sparkling ale with NS (pitched 6th Jan) in secondary jerry cans, in ferment fridge @ 18 deg.
The Smurto's GA was nearing completion, the sparkling NS neaded another week when I left so kept both in ferment fridge.
I have showed my wife how to close lid on jerry and move to serving fridge when I let here know.
I was going to give them both 4 weeks from pitching then move to fridge.I have read alot from here and there, and think as long as sanitation was good there shouldn't be to much drama in leaving it till I get home (6 weeks since pitch for GA and 5 for NS) Palmer even recomends a longer ferment.
I really don't want to F..k these ones up as they were tasting spot on.
What is the word on the street move to fridge or leave?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers Clayton.
will def store better for a longer time if cold than still at fermenting temps..3-4 weeks should be fine, 5 or 6 at ferment temps i would be nervous

edit: kegs or bottles?

will def store better for a longer time if cold than still at fermenting temps..3-4 weeks should be fine, 5 or 6 at ferment temps i would be nervous

edit: kegs or bottles?

Hey Iamozziyob,
Cheers for reply, I always cold condition in secondary jerry for 1 week min longer if I have beer still in kegs.
Then transfer to keg carb and drink.
Cheers mate.

I have the same issue of working away. I am away for 5 weeks and home for 5 weeks. What I do is brew when I get home and ferment in fridge while im home for 5 then before I go I keg all the brew for cold condition and brew again before I go away.

So all I do is wait 3 weeks for the beer i brewed at the end of my leave and tell the misses to turn the fridge down 5 deg every couple of days until it's at 0 deg.

That saves her lifting heavy shit and getting annoyed at me. I have never had a problem with attenuation sometimes depending on the beer i'll let them ferment for 4 weeks to make sure their done. I never had any problems with beer sitting on yeast for 5 weeks and all my beers taste pretty damn good. I acctualy got caught out last leave with a saison that didn't attenuate out all the way before I left so I just left it sitting there on the yeast at room temp. I don't care if it comes up good because the other batch of saison (i do double batches) I fermented with farmhouse is in the keg and will be conditioned when i get home in 3 weeks. But it will be interesting to see what happens to the other one left out.
:icon_cheers:

Left racked beer in a cube for more than a month once. One of my best beers to date. Ambient indoors was ~ 20-22 that time of the year. Couldn't go wrong if sticking it in the fridge as well!

Hey Iamozziyob,
Cheers for reply, I always cold condition in secondary jerry for 1 week min longer if I have beer still in kegs.
Then transfer to keg carb and drink.
Cheers mate.

kegging less of an issue i guess as you aren't reying on the yeast for carbing, 6 weeks in primary on the trub may leave little
Viable yeast for bottle carbing. Not based on experience, at 3 weeks I'm usually fermented, cc'd and bottled so I've necer really had to bottle one I've had going for that long.

Even less of an issue if you have racked off the trub into a jerry for secondary conditioning as you seem to be doing

Cheers

Latest posts

Back