Wild Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to let it ferment out if you ask me.
I recently pitched the wrong yeast (must of marked one of my slants wrong), long story short I fermented a amber ale with Hefeweizen yeast....tastes fairly good.
If its tasting alright now let it finish and drink up!

Howdy rowy,
I'm not sure what was in there last ,either an irish red or golden ale,maybe one of nick jds recipes for 30 bucks.
I make a lot of it,my favourite.
Yes it really took off.
Just tipped it into the boiler to cook again and the slurry on the bottom looked like a normal yeast residue.After an hour or so it went bubbly and muddy like I think a mud geyser looks.
See what happens from here hey.

Howdy rowy,
I'm not sure what was in there last ,either an irish red or golden ale,maybe one of nick jds recipes for 30 bucks.
I make a lot of it,my favourite.
Yes it really took off.
Just tipped it into the boiler to cook again and the slurry on the bottom looked like a normal yeast residue.After an hour or so it went bubbly and muddy like I think a mud geyser looks.
See what happens from here hey.

Was that the same fermenter Oigs that you had trouble with that other brew?

Ya could be right mate altho it was rinsed out with starsan and left to drain 10 minutes before
filling.I only got it half full by the way.
But how did you clean the fermenter (assuming it is one in good condition) before the starsan?

The view on the web seems to be that starsan does not always kill yeast 100% so if the
fermenter wasn't properly cleaned, there could have been clumps of yeast around
(e.g. hiding in the tap thread) that allowed some to survive the starsan.

Did you check the gravity of the beer before you boiled it?

Not sure rowy,got 2 of em,both look the same.Different problem altogether tho.
Jace,gave it a good scrub out,hole ,tap and all.Sanitised with bleach vinegar mix,rinsed and flooded with starsan mixed on the day.
Not sure who asked but S.G. was 1.045.
See how we go.
Be nice to know the survival rate from drinking crook piss.

Not sure rowy,got 2 of em,both look the same.Different problem altogether tho.
Jace,gave it a good scrub out,hole ,tap and all.Sanitised with bleach vinegar mix,rinsed and flooded with starsan mixed on the day.
Not sure who asked but S.G. was 1.045.
See how we go.
Be nice to know the survival rate from drinking crook piss.

It'd take more than a bit of crook piss to knock you over Oigs you old bugger.

But how did you clean the fermenter (assuming it is one in good condition) before the starsan?

The view on the web seems to be that starsan does not always kill yeast 100% so if the
fermenter wasn't properly cleaned, there could have been clumps of yeast around
(e.g. hiding in the tap thread) that allowed some to survive the starsan.

Although, as Nick said, if it's brewing yeast from the previous brew, that's an incredible kick-off for such a small amount of brewing yeast in the stated time period.

Although, as Nick said, if it's brewing yeast from the previous brew, that's an
incredible kick-off for such a small amount of brewing yeast in the stated time
period.
That would also be the case for a wild yeast, wouldn't it? OP stated the wort
was added to fermenter as nochill so would have started at high temp and then
cooled down through a temp that might give any yeast that survived the cleaning
regime (which sounds quite extensive) or wild yeast an incredible kick-off. Actually,
the initial high temps ought to have cooked any yeast that was in the fermenter
so maybe wild yeast is more likely.

^ what he said, IMHO that ferment looks too healthy, normal and active to be a simple accidental 'wild' yeast (especially since it looks/tastes/smells 'not bad').

Looks like a beer yeast infection to me

The most common "wild yeast" in your brewery is going to be brewers yeast anyway.

I have only tossed one batch of beer in about 2 years. Have had a few suspects, but they all turned out fine. I have always been stoked when they were fine when just a few weeks earlier I was considering tossing them. I would probably put another brew down just in case this turns out bad.

Latest posts

Back