Wild Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Just saw this pop up on a DM email

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_516479/wild-yak-pacific-ale-345ml?mid=LOY_WK10_Thursday_MTO&rid=838015245

So it looks like Yak Ales are dipping their toes in the "Pacific Ale" game, after the court trial between Thunder Road and Stone and Wood was resolved, with Pacific Ale being known as a style rather than an S&W trademark (http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2016/07/breaking-thunder-road-wins-pacific-ale-case/).

I might put it on the request list for father's day and see if it's any good. If its anything like S&W pacific it is at least cheaper than S&W prices....

which reminds me i have an american wheat fermenting at the moment with loads of galaxy, ella and citra dry hopping :)

Wonder how many other breweries are going to launch Pacific Ales...

yAK.JPG

DJR said:
So it looks like Yak Ales are dipping their toes in the "Pacific Ale" game, after the court trial between Thunder Road and Stone and Wood was resolved, with Pacific Ale being known as a style rather than an S&W trademark (http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2016/07/breaking-thunder-road-wins-pacific-ale-case/).
They actually have had the name Wild Yak Pacific Ale since before the trial wrapped up, it was at GABS this year (May). Apparently they already had rights to use the term Pacific Ale through their pacific beverages brand.

Bribie G said:
Low bitterness. 4.2%

Craftwashed.
sp0rk said:
Hahaha, "Wild"
At a whole 15 IBU...
S&W pacific ale is only 4.4% and how many IBU's do you reckon it is ? I'd guess no more than 20. They're just putting out their own take on the style

I believe Pacific Ale is 25IBU?
Half of the clones out there are 15IBU, the other half are around 25IBU
But "Wild" seems like a bit of a misnomer for very tame stats like that

sp0rk said:
I believe Pacific Ale is 25IBU?
Half of the clones out there are 15IBU, the other half are around 25IBU
But "Wild" seems like a bit of a misnomer for very tame stats like that
Just had confirmation from a former S&W brewer, it's 25 IBU

I assume the 'Pacific Ale' thing is a nod the those famous hop and malt producers of the pacific region like Germany, America and the Czech Republic.

I noticed this on tap at a pub in town last week and thought I'd give it a go, so I bought a schooner.

Wish I'd got a middy

Horrible.

Yeah, had it on the weekend at a mate's. Meh. Don't know where the hops were meant to be, all i got was a very light ale with not much hopping and only a mild malt backbone.

To be fair I had just had a Fixation IPA beforehand :D (now that's a good beer)

I had a Wild Yak this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I've actually come across this thread while searching for a clone. :)

Sam_H said:
I had a Wild Yak this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I've actually come across this thread while searching for a clone. :)
Sank a few at an RSL in QLD when I was on holiday in November. Very quaffable in hot weather and in a pub setting where I just want a few schooners to accompany Queen of the Nile or "Where's the Gold", it's as inoffensive as other "craft washed" ales such as Kosiusko, Cricketers Arms etc. and more drinkable than Carlton Draught or XXXX heavy.

My brother in law is obsessed with this beer at the moment, he loves stone and wood pacific ale too and thought this was a cheaper alternative. Last weekend at a pub serving both we did a comparison, you should have seen his face drop when trying them side by side.

Latest posts

Back