Wild Brews: Culture & Craftsmanship ..belgian Trad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I see the follow on book in the series from Phil Markowski's Farmhouse Ales is available for pre-order on Amazon for a June 2005 release.

If the content and history is as good as Farmhouse Ales I'll be up for it.

The blurb from the AHA is

Wild Brews explores the world of Lambics, Flanders red and brown beers and American brews in a similar style. Includes coverage of wood-barrel aging, blending and the use of fruit in wild fermentations. 5.5 x 8.5, 256 pages.

Beers,
Doc

I think I'll also be keen to check out the third and final installment in the series

Monk brews will be the focus of the third book in the series. Due out in Fall 2005, it will look at Abbey ales and other strong Belgian-style brews.

Doc

cool.

cant wait to get my farmhouse ales book, it's on order from kinokuniya... then again i've just brewed 4 saisons in a row so i might be a bit sick of em by the time i get the book!

Just finished reading Farmhouse ales myself and found it throroughly enjoyable. A grissette inspired saison currently bubbling away in fermenter one.
Can't wait for volume 3.

I've pre-ordered Wild Brews from Amazon this morning. Now I just have to wait unitl early July for it to turn up :angry:

Doc

I've just read Pierre Rajotte's 'Belgian Ale" from the Classic Beer Style Series. I found it a little disappointing in it's inconsistency. It's really good in some areas, like history of Belgians and style descriptions, but is lacking in other areas, like malts and recipes. In the recipes section, most of the recipes just call for ingredients like "crystal malt 4oz". Doesn't say which crystal, and there's no mention of Special B, Belgian Aromatic, Biscuit, etc. I was hoping it would be the fill-in I needed to compensate for the lack of Belgian info in Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers", but it doesn't quite fit the bill.

I actually found Michael Jackson's "The Great Beers of Belgium" a much more informative and entertaining read. Sure, there's no recipes, but I found a lot in there to help me with recipe formulation.

Doc, "Monk Brews" sounds like a good read - I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers - Snow

I'd agree Snow - the Rajotte book is also getting pretty long in the tooth now (it came out in 1992).

Farmhouse ales struck me as a little in the great beer styles mode - mix of history, cultural and style description - but with much more useful info on recipe formulation than Rajotte, for example.

Hanging out to try Monk brews myself (never thought I'd hear myself say that on this particular forum ;) )

Looks like the third book has been renamed to Brew Like A Monk.
It is available as a preorder from Amazon now with a ship date of around Oct 25 2005.

Only about a month to wait for the Wild Brews book to ship. Woohooooo.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
I see the follow on book in the series from Phil Markowski's Farmhouse Ales is available for pre-order on Amazon for a June 2005 release.

If the content and history is as good as Farmhouse Ales I'll be up for it.

The blurb from the AHA is

Wild Brews explores the world of Lambics, Flanders red and brown beers and American brews in a similar style. Includes coverage of wood-barrel aging, blending and the use of fruit in wild fermentations. 5.5 x 8.5, 256 pages.

Beers,
Doc
[post="46428"][/post]​

Wooohooo, just got the email from Amazon. It has shipped. Should be here within 2 weeks.

Beers,
Doc

Keep an eye on the mail box Doc, mine arrived today - direct from the Brewer's Association.

Looks like an interesting read, and a longer one than Farmhouse Ales, over 300 pages as opposed to under 200.

Might take me a bit of time to get to it though. I have only just got my hands on a copy of Daniels "Designing Great Beers", and also have "The Brewmaster's Table" by Garrett Oliver prioritised before it.

If any of the Adelaidean floccers (big or small) fancy a gander at the lambic book before I get around to it, give me a hoy.

Now, there is only 4 months until the Brew Like a Monk book is out, that is one I do want to read.

awrabest, stu

Cheers wee stu.
I got it sent to work and it didn't show today.
I won't be back in the office until Monday, so fingers crossed. Mine will be a few days behind yours though because it is coming from Amazon though.

Beers,
Doc

wee stu said:
Now, there is only 4 months until the Brew Like a Monk book is out, that is one I do want to read.

awrabest, stu
[post="64668"][/post]​

Will there be a section in there on RIS Stu :)

Steve

chiller said:
Will there be a section in there on RIS Stu :)
[post="64675"][/post]​

I'm guessing you mean the Randomly Innoculated Saccharomyces chapter?
Haven't quite made it to there yet :p

Book Ordered: Feb 22
Book Shipped: June 18
Book Arrives: July 5
Book all damaged by water in transit. NOT HAPPY JAN. #$&((*&#(*&$@(&#*

So have ordered a refund from Amazon, and now have to re-order.
On top of that a truck crash meant it was a 2 hour bus trip home tonight (instead of about 35mins) and I could have ready at least the first few chapters.

Doc

Yes Sintax. I rang them two days ago and they hadn't unpacked the box it came in an put it on the shelf yet.
Will try them again today.
Dymocks is also got it on order due this week.

Beers,
Doc

Kinokuniya (Galleries Victoria Sydney) now have three copies left on the shelf.

Already enjoying the small parts I've already read.

Beers,
Doc

I just ordered both from Amazon UK. Supposedly 8-9 day wait to get the new one.

Latest sighting: Dymocks, Rundle Mall Adelaide, only one copy $31.

It was 20% off when I bought mine at Kinokuyia last week which made it about $25. Not sure why there was 20% off, but I wasn't going to query it.

Doc

Back