Wig & Pen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm off to the Wig & Pen in Canberra this weekend, can anyone offer any advice on what to try and what to avoid?

its all good :)

i like the irish red.. but of course you could always just look on the walls and see what has won gold where... :)

i also like the velvet cream stout..

im waiting till i get sick of these before i move on to another beer :)

Wig & Pen

Richard should/might have his Russian Imperial Stout ready on tap.

If so, try that. :chug:

I have heard that the sg was approx 1120...

I can't wait to try this one.

What day and time will you be there...

We could make it a Canbrats inaugural event ....

My weekend in Canberra is a bit jam packed, and to be honest I'm only going to have time for a pint or two.

But if you want to arrange a Canbrats Weekend, I'll be there!

I imagine Linz could be tempted to as he's just up the road....

A bit more notice than 2-3 days and you'd be on the money.

As for a Can-bear-a w/end ........I can feel a :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: coming on!

Hows about it guys?...And David and the Northern Brewers

Linz

P.S Wasabi, i) Its a long f...ing road ii) Whilst on this trip you MUST find an excuse to return on a date yet to be fixed

KOOK, WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS FROM SYDNEY????? :huh:

Photos? What Photos? ;)

Nah, I really should get around to it. Its just a really annoying job. I'm scanning them on a Lexmark X620 (Combo printer/scanner/fax/copier) and it takes fukn ages. I'll get round to finishing it this week.

It has already been suggested to change the name to the Can-BEER-A weekend!

Just for the record.. The next Ozrats trek is to be in Ball-A-Rat around the October weekend.Staying at a B&B that is also a pub that serves brews from the Uni of Ballarat brewers course...But for more information on the subject I'll leave the floor open to either JAG or Jovial Monk to supply the details.

Linz

Linz,

A weekend at the Wig and Pen is reason enough isn't it? Plus Trev tells me that there is a brewery in Goulburn that we could try and have a look at.

I suppose we could start at the Picton Pub?

I'm more than willing to travel for good beer, and my Danish wife is happy that she's finally getting a chance to see a bit more of Australia!

I reckon we should just get together more often anyway, even just us Sydney guys!

I'm still considering driving to the Ball-a-Rat thing. I'll see a little closer to the time. Never driven interstate before, would be an experience.

Beer weekends

I would go to the Ballarat one.

Like the idea of the Can-beer-a weekend.
If you give me dates..i might be able to get the Canberra Brewers Club to host a BBQ...

There is also a microbrewery being set up in Braidwood... i think it will be doing B& B as well.

Depending on numbers...i can offer my place for a BBQ and good home brewed beer (apparantley over hopped)...

Thanks for the offer GMK. These things kicked off from the Oz kit beers list on yahoo groups. The first being three chaps(Tom(jovial), JAG and the Rook, I think) in Ballarat. It was to be a type of Octoberfest for homebrewers to brew for the week-end.
The second was the, now famous, Ozrats pis-Syd weekend.(Which soon there will be photos[won't there Kook]).
The next,as mentioned before, is due to be back a Ballarat. They were to be six months apart approximately. So on that very loose criteria the Can-beer-a weekend "could " fall about next april. Which will be enough time for them to finish the brew pub & B&B!
The six month gap also gives everyone enough time to recover(both physically and financially).

just something to think about...any comments??

Well guys I got down there for a few hours on Sat afternoon and I couldn't believe just how many beers they had on tap. I was spoilt for choice.

I started with the Autumn seasonal IPA which reminded me of a drier and less hoped version of Little Creatures, very nice though.

Helped my wife with her Pilsner, which I found suprisingly sweet, but not disappointing.

Moved onto the british bitter. Now this was good! Not only was it hand pumped, but it wasn't served at sub-arctic temperatures!

Finished on the Irish Red, but should have gone the stout. I'm not an Irish Red fan anyway, but I gave it a go.

Best beer though was probably the Stout I had at GMK's when he kindly invited me round.

GSRMan, maybe Ken does go a little crazy on the hops, but it tasted damn fine on that stout!

The Wig and Pen as a venue was great! Real English pub style, but it was obvious the owner/or brewer weren't around and the guy serving us didn't want to be there, and definately didn't was us to be there!

Hmm i hope the hop character has settled down since last weekend then :)

*surrounded by hop-heads*

whats the address for the pub?

Linz said:
whats the address for the pub?
Wig & Pen Address.

Canberra House Arcade
Alinga Street
Canberra City.
6248 0171.

Well,
Just back from Canberra. Firstly, must stop at the wig and pen anytime any of you are in Canberra. Fantastic pub!
I had a raspberry ale that has me chomping at the bit to do a fruit beer.Not overly sweet with a hint of tartness that made it. Their kolsch and pilsener both easily seesion beers, but not while driving; and their hefe was as good as any that I've had.
The best part is that there's still half a dozen beers still to be sampled there so bring on the Can-beer-a weekend!

(This stunt was performed under strict assistance from my wife that allowed me to continue to drive whilst remaining sober)[She drank more than I did! Damn it!!]

I would also like to thank Ken(GMK) for his hospitality and inviting me over and, yes his stout is great!(maybe a bit low on the hop note and bitterness :D, just stirring! )
This leads me to a new kind of topic. Ken mentioned that The Canberra Brewers were/might be doing a trip to the Picton pub? Hows about some dates? maybe a few from Sydney and the Illawarra can meet up and join in?? the floor is open

We are going on the weekend in 23 - 25 July.

Should be at the Picton pub on the sunday...not sure of the time or itinery yet...

Will post it when i have it...

Linz

here is a copy of the canberra brewers sydney trip weekend current att:
Brewers,
Richard and I have been discussing an itenary for the trip and have so far come up with the following:

Friday 25th
Leave Canberra by 1700
Dinner (and accomodation) at George IV Picton 2000

Saturday 26th
Paddy's 1030-1200
Lunch
Malt Shovel 1300-1530
Check in at Hotel in City (Travel lodge) 1600
Harts Pub/Saint Arnou? Pre dinner drinks 1700
BBC dinner 1900

Sunday 27th
Left open at this stage.
One option would be to check out Five Owens in Wollongong
This would add 1.5 hrs extra driving so it would be best to leave Sydney earlish
Otherwise, we could spend the morning in Sydney for a more leisurely trip back.
Bus return will need to be within the 3rd day limit, so around 1600 hrs.

Open to you Sydney /Illawarra guys.

Back