Wig And Pen Up For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woolworths. Then Fosters and Lion will be queuing up waving tap contracts.

Hopefully it's built into the sale contract that it's to be continued as an ongoing concern in it's current format for at least the next 99 years.

Hopefully it's built into the sale contract that it's to be continued as an ongoing concern in it's current format for at least the next 99 years.
I really hope so. This would be a tragedy if such a long running and quality microbrewery was lost.
I doubt it will be but even the prospect is disheartening...

''A lot has been done to promote Canberra wineries in the past few years, but there are five microbreweries in Canberra and a lot of people don't know that because there's been no assistance from government whatsoever, which I think is a shame.''

Can anyone name the other 4 microbreweries, I've only ever heard of the Wig & Pen in Canberra

Can anyone name the other 4 microbreweries, I've only ever heard of the Wig & Pen in Canberra

Yeah, Ziehorlz Brewery, Aussie Pizza Kitchen which makes beer on premises (I think they still do). Stricklands 1842 Beer (Brewed outside of Cbr I think).

That is 4. Maybe U brew it is considered a microbrewery but is it?

More news about the Wig. Apologies if I missed another thread about it.
I'll be there week after next. Better make the most of it!

Oh Dear

Woolworths. Then Fosters and Lion will be queuing up waving tap contracts.

Funny you should mention that. In less than two weeks Woolworths will be assuming control of quite a number of Sydney pubs to add to their already massive hotel & gaming portfolio.

How depressing. Bring the family to your local IsoShop, you'll never leave.

I despise all the advertising defending pokies in my part of the world, like they're a force of good in the community, turning depressed seniors into minimal community sponsorship through the power of pokie. NSW is shafted to ever get a decent craftbrew scene against these dark forces.

*good luck to the Wig and Pen, only visited a few times but always enjoyed it.

Never had the chance to visit the place but always wanted too. Heard they had fantastic beer.

Shame it will most likely be purchased by someone that doesn't have the same idea of beer and stick Tooheys and XXXX on tap.

AHB should make it the first official move of the AHB investment group.

I am not 100% clear but it sounds like rather than the pub being for sale, it is the premises, and Richard is looking to move elsewhere? In which case I hope he finds somewhere else that is a good fit around that part of the city. Maybe round Dickson or Civic someplace else.

Let's hope he moves to the Blue Mountains ! I seriously think the area needs a micro brewpub, to tie in with the local tourism market.

Back on topic, I have never had a chance to get down to the W & P, it was on my bucket list for summer. Left it a bit too late.

I am not 100% clear but it sounds like rather than the pub being for sale, it is the premises, and Richard is looking to move elsewhere? In which case I hope he finds somewhere else that is a good fit around that part of the city. Maybe round Dickson or Civic someplace else.

As of last week's visit, Wig is still looking for new premises. Unfortunately, 'underbelly' type influences are apparently hampering availability.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/c...0315-1v5l7.html

P.S. annual truffle infused ('Randle') brew on tap shortly

Blue Mountains would be nice for the tourist coin. Leura perhaps?

Though, speaking of locations i am always amazed that somwhere like Cockatoo Island in the harbour doesn't have something happening. So many large, industrial warehouses with cheap[ish] commonwealth sub'd rent. Funky cafe / food joint with BOP beers. Yum :)

AusBrewsNews article re Wig shift:

"Champion Brewery Seeks Comfortable New Home"

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/06/champi...table-new-home/

Latest posts

Back