Wierd Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
What is this taste?
Tipped a brew out because of it the other day.
Now I am not good at explaning taste but , burnt , matalic ?
Smells really strong and tastes the same as it smells
Opened a Emu Bitter and I can smell it there as well , only just no where as strong.
Bummer , remember having it for a number of brews 15-18 years ago , I think I replaced my fermenters then !
Second brew I have had this in a month , otherwise apart from the past never had a problem :angry:

hmmmm.. odd.. might have to look up a few sites for that flavour.. i vaguely remember something about a metalic taste..

my best guess would be an infection of some sort.. perhaps you should try a full strip down and boil/sterilise of everything you can.... what are you current sanitisation techniques when you put down a brew?

from http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250F for about 6 hours.

I'm not sure this is related to you though, but have a look through the list of off-flavours..

I use one shot
But yes have done the full strip down , scrubbed the tap threads , broken down the taps , etc etc
Will see if I kill it , just may have come from a Coopers Yeast cultured from Pale Ale
Maybe a bug got in

All my pots are stainless , may not be explaning this taste to well

Batz, could it be your water supply, or plumbing.
How does the water taste, have you had a lot of rain lately?

Looks like I have thrown you all off by the matalic taste , no it's not the pipes etc , I do at least one brew per week and don't get this taste/smell

Back