Wide Stockpots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm upgrading frommy 36L aluminium stockpot and wanted to know if anyone had experience or opinions about the wider style stockpots, such as this: http://handyimports.com.au/new-commercial-...e-saucepan.html

I'm having trouble finding a 50L pot with a sandwiched 3 layer base thing in Sydney for a reasonable price so am looking at alternatives. The wider stockpot suggests it would boil over alot easier than standard sized ones?

thanks,
Josh

No experience on the wider pot, but you might want to do a search on Handy Imports before buying anything from them.

I've got the 50L Handy Import pot and no problems with it yet, although only test boils and ramp tests on it. So no brews in anger yet, although will be doing a BIAB over the Xmas break.

It ends up being 40cm high by 40 cms diameter. I have installed a 2400W element into the pot and it only just gets to a VERY gentle boil. As soon as you put the lid on (or even partially cover the pot), up to a normal strong boil. This is with about 30L water in it. So quite a lot of energy is being lost to the pot size.

A higher narrower pot will boil a lot easier. I've yet to do a percentage loss boil yet, but would expect higher losses from my pot than the normal narrow brew pot.

Check out www.rewarddistribution.com.au

its a hospitality supply store. I got an 80L Aluminium pot from them for the approx same dollars as the linked HI SS 50L pot.
Served me well thus far.
All sizes from 40L up to 140L available (and smaller of course).

Otherwise one of the site sponsors sells a 70L SS pot for a decent price too. Has had good feedback also from other site members.

Either option should suit.

Cheers,
D80

I've got a 50L pot, 40cm x 40cm. I've had just under 40L boiling in there and never had a boil over...yet.

IMO, the 70L s/s pot from craftbrewer can't be beaten

50L (40x40) is a great size for single batches. Can't boil-over in my experience.

My wife picked it up in cabramatta, or somewhere like that... doesn't have a sandwiched base.

I'd probably recommend a 70L (craftbrewer) if you ever think you may want to do double batches.

A wider pot will have more evaporation, which means you will have less maximum knockout volume without either adding more water mid-boil, or boiling shorter. Also you might have to start with less water because of the risk of the boil-over.

Triple-wammy.

thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Despite the great value of the 70LK craftbrewer one, i've got to stick with the 50L for now as i don't have room in my apartment for anything bigger than that plus i'm content with doing 23 litre batches for now. I was also after one i could pickup direct from a shop so i can throw down a few batches over the christmas break :)

Large diameter pots have a couple of drawbacks. Due to the diameter they loose more heat and so are harder to boil. They also create more wastage, I have a 500mm dia. pot and 1L equals about 8 or 9mm in height, you need a really effective pickup in your kettle. I loose about 2.5 to 3L due to trub.

cheers

Browndog

thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Despite the great value of the 70LK craftbrewer one, i've got to stick with the 50L for now as i don't have room in my apartment for anything bigger than that plus i'm content with doing 23 litre batches for now. I was also after one i could pickup direct from a shop so i can throw down a few batches over the christmas break :)
Josh the one you linked to is the same diameter as the 70L pot, just shorter.
But as others have said if you want a smaller size, something more "square" is probably better. You'll have less boil-off. You may also find the bag a bit unwieldy in a short pot.

cheers guys, looks like the stockpot search will continue. Had email responses from three sydney-based hopsitality/catering places and a 50lt stockpot were all over $300.

I was even quoted $342 for the 50L robinox forje thing that i have seen elsewhere for under $250.

There's a 50L one from Daves homebrew in North sydney for $125 but wasn't sure if this will hold up for the long-term? I made the mistake last week of testing out my new gas ring burner on my 20L Big W stockpot and after 5 minutes the bottom warped and has a dimple looking thing in it. I just don't want to fork out some dough and have the same thing happen because i didn't buy a really decent one :(

cheers guys, looks like the stockpot search will continue. Had email responses from three sydney-based hopsitality/catering places and a 50lt stockpot were all over $300.

I was even quoted $342 for the 50L robinox forje thing that i have seen elsewhere for under $250.

There's a 50L one from Daves homebrew in North sydney for $125 but wasn't sure if this will hold up for the long-term? I made the mistake last week of testing out my new gas ring burner on my 20L Big W stockpot and after 5 minutes the bottom warped and has a dimple looking thing in it. I just don't want to fork out some dough and have the same thing happen because i didn't buy a really decent one :(

There is a 46L commercial grade aluminimum quality (thicker walls & base) from Handy Imports for $98.40 with free shipping. May be worth losing the 4 litres? I don't know

46l Aluminum Commercial Grade Stock Pot

thanks blitzer, i'm looking in terms of longevity for a stainless one despite many positive comments for both aluminium and stainless.

I've seen the robinox pots on beerbelly for $235 which seems pretty decent but i've just seen this http://www.cateringequipment.com.au/stainl...-forje-50litre/ for $252 that i can pickup from the shop itself.

Does this seem like a decent price? These pots seem to have a pretty decent wrap in the forums

They are a pretty awesome pot :)

I got the 98L via BeerBelly, for Xmas last year. They are great pots. Especially if you use gas because of the base. And they are perfectly flat inside, so a good pickup will pickup most everything.

My first 98L actually blistered when I hit it with the Italian Spiral. Robinox couriered out a replacement.

That looks like a pretty good price for a Forje. And I think they're made in Brookvale too, which is nice :)

My 70L aluminium boil kettle cost me just barley over $100 on sale and I expect to still be using it in 20years time. What exactly is it that you plan to do with your boil kettle that makes you think you will wear it out if you dont get stainless?

To get a boil that works around the "normal" beweing parameters, what you are looking for is a pot that will give you and almost square cross section of wort..... so in a 40cm wide pot, 40cm deep. NOT the pot itself, the liquid height. So size the diamet of your pot, so that your intended pre-boil size will give you a liquid depth equal to the pot diameter. Its not that other dimensions dont or wont work, its just that the numbers and processes will all work out properly for you if you have it about that way.

Get a nice rolling boil, but not overly vigarous, and if the pot is right - you'll never have to worry about % boil off to kill DMS, because it will be in the ballpark, your boil off will be at about the level where your pre-boil volumes will come to the right level, just at about the point where your sparge is hitting cut off gravity, a reasonably powered low/med pressure burner or element will boil your wort, so no need for a massive amount of grunt, or really requiring the heat dispersion of a fancy sandwiched base.

Get your pot size right - and many of the things that people have issues with later, will just not happen to you.

It so happens that a converted keg isn't a million miles away. Kegs (legal ones) can be had for significantly less than stainless pots.

There are other things to consider of course, but the "square" wort cross section is close to ideal for many of the factors you need to care about.

TB

I've got two pots from handy imports, the stainless one is awesome, but is no longer available as they seem to only do the wider ones, the aluminium one is also great - but the handles get friggin hot. However I do put a stainless colander on top of a cake rack in the bottom to avoid burning the bag ( and also they seem like trub magnets!).

Thirsty Boy

my pot is 30x30 CM if I filled for pre boil to equal pot depth and added grain it would over flow? what would be the best way to use my pot for BIAB?

Back