Wicked Ale Brewery, Yallingup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindaloo

Bouncer
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently was in Margaret River, and took the time to visit the Wicked Ale place in Yallingup (I think). We were going to go to Bootleg as well, but allegedly, a mate (who is a beer nerd, and I respect his opinions) tried some brews from there and they were decidedly average.

So we set out, and tried 3 of their beers. I would have tried more but alas, I had to drive back to Perth that day.

So here are my thoughts on those brews.

Chocolate ale : Quite an average and artificial tasting brew. Brewed with chocolate extract. Leaves a pleasant chocolatey taste in the mouth, but it's the wrong style. Could possibly brew a darker beer with more chocolate malt.

Citrus beer : I liked this one the best. The citrus flavours are not so prominent that they assault the tasttebuds, but they are very noticable. I would drink this beer regularly, however the $20/6pack pricetag is definately too much. It's no Westy12.

Chilli beer : I was most interested in this beer, as some might have already guessed :) However, I was disappointed. Once again, it is brewed with extract of chilli, not actual chilli. The result is a rather bland tasting lager with mild chilli heat aftertaste. There's no actual chilli flavour, which didn't help. When asked about brewing with real chillis, they said "every chilli, even from the same bush, has a different heat." So what?! That's part of the experience. Get a mild bottle, then you don't have to buy more beer to cool yourself down afterwards. Would make the experience much more exciting. This might sound like I have a bloated head about my own brewing, but my Chilli Honey Ale was much better, for the sole reason that I used real chillis in the bottle.

So yeah, mixed feelings about this place. The high boutique pricetags count against it.

Has anyone else been there? What do you guys think about their brews? Please, someone, disagree :)

Laters,

Vinds.

Hey Vindaloo you wouldn't happen to have a recipe of any kind for the Citrus one? If it sounds as good as it sounds I might have to plonk one together.

The citrus was brewed the same way as the chilli and chocolate beers, with extracts being used instead of actual fruit. As for the recipe, I dunno...

Maybe, try a genuine basic lager (to keep things simple at first), and squeeze some fresh fruit into the wort before primary fermentation. I might try this with a Canadian Blonde Coopers tin I've got here. We have a lemon tree, and some orange trees out the front (as well as apples, apricots, mulberries, etc) so maybe I'll squeeze some lemons and oranges into the wort. Maybe a litre or so of fresh juice to start making an impact on the flavour. I'll post to the experiment forum once I do put this beer on, ETA about a day or so.

Vinds.

Sounds like a good plan :) I'll eagerly await your post in the Kitchen section.

I made a Apple Cider a few months back and put in 2L Apple Juice (no preservatives!) that turned out ok although still it lacked carbonation, gave them another shake and now they are getting better all the time.

Hi

I made a lemon beer and a lemon-orange beer a couple of years ago.

With the lemon beer I added a litre of freshly squeezed lemon juice (minus pips & pulp) when I racked my brew into a clean fermenter after about 4 days of primary fermentation.

With the lemon-orange brew I added a litre of orange juice and 500mL of lemon juice (once again freshly squeezed and minus pips & pulp) right at the start when I was topping up the boiled wort with cold water.

I just used a Pacific Draught extract for the lemon brew and An Australian Pub Ale Kit from Grumpy's

Both brews turned out really well and I called them Chick Drinks coz the ladies loved them. B)

Pacific Draght ... a Brewiser kit? I had that one once, and found it to be pretty poor (the way they said to make it anyway). I guess it was prolly just me :)

Vinds.

Vindaloo said:
Chilli beer : I was most interested in this beer, as some might have already guessed :) However, I was disappointed. Once again, it is brewed with extract of chilli, not actual chilli. The result is a rather bland tasting lager with mild chilli heat aftertaste. There's no actual chilli flavour, which didn't help. When asked about brewing with real chillis, they said "every chilli, even from the same bush, has a different heat." So what?! That's part of the experience. Get a mild bottle, then you don't have to buy more beer to cool yourself down afterwards. Would make the experience much more exciting. This might sound like I have a bloated head about my own brewing, but my Chilli Honey Ale was much better, for the sole reason that I used real chillis in the bottle.
I tried this brew on draught at the first perth annual chilli festival (rolleystone).
I was a bit dissapointed too Vinds..

It poured lovely cloudy golden with a creamy white head. Good head retention. I cant say anything about the aroma as my nose was a little blocked after an earlier experiment with a chilli sauce called "death sauce". I ended up buying a bottle (anyway back to the beer). The taste was much like a generic pale ale. Nothing stood out about it. Sweet lager/pilsner malt taste, smooth mouthfeel, with a hint of chilli flavour aftertaste. No real chilli heat came through. Not much hop presence either. Refreshing, though not what I'd expected.

I also had a mouthfull of their Old. Not really enough to say much about it, I would have bought a bottle but there were no take-aways :( It seemed nice though, smooth mouthfeel, malty, with a nice roasted aftertaste.

Vindaloo said:
We were going to go to Bootleg as well, but allegedly, a mate (who is a beer nerd, and I respect his opinions) tried some brews from there and they were decidedly average.
I've tried a couple of the Bootleg brews. My local (Paddington Ale House) has their Sou' West Wheat on tap. I agree about the decidedly average statement. Mine tasted more like a boring lager than a wheat beer. Infact, the scary thing was Redback tasted more wheat-beer like!

I've tried their Settlers Ale and Brown Ale in bottles and they were good. Nothing special but they were good :)

Back