Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by TidalPete, 9/7/10.

1. TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH

Posted 9/7/10
    Brewers,

My first attempt at an Oktoberfest seems to be a total flop. (To my tastes anyway).
    Ever the more so that I tried to imitate Barry Cranston's most excellent recipe with the grain & hops that I had on hand. Cheers Barry. :beer:
    My dregs keg that includes bits of everything I have kegged for the last 6\8 brews tastes better than my poor Oktoberfest effort. :( :p
    Most of my beers are drinkable at least but this is a very poor attempt at a world renowned beer by a celebrated brewer & I can't help but admit I need guidance here? :(

Recipe -----------------

View attachment Oktoberfest.txt

TP

2. chappo1970

Must remember to logout of AHB on Brew Days

Home Page:
    Posted 9/7/10
    Need more info on what you didn't like about the beer Pete? Malts, esters etc etc...

3. Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****

Home Page:
    Posted 9/7/10
    Mate just give up and move to Kit and Kilo :eek: Not that there's any thing wrong with that :lol: cough ... There will be no child living in poverty ..........
    GB

4. Tyred

Home Page:
    Posted 9/7/10
    A total flop to your taste. The taste isn't what you expected it to be ?

I notice you did mention that the malt was a little old. From your test file "Vienna upped to 3.00Kg to allow for age degradation." How old was it ? Perhaps the older malt may be where it issue is ?

You also subbed the hops as well. Maybe the different flavour/aroma from those hops as opposed to the original recipe ?

I can't really think of anything else that may be the problem. I can only notice the differences that you have pointed out already.

5. ///

Posted 9/7/10
    Why? Wished i asked that myself some years ago. Why not do up to 9 x 1200l batches a week ... ohh the humanity!

Brewers do not plan, they do, planning is for the sales reps ....

Scotty