Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
Brewers,

My first attempt at an Oktoberfest seems to be a total flop. (To my tastes anyway).
Ever the more so that I tried to imitate Barry Cranston's most excellent recipe with the grain & hops that I had on hand. Cheers Barry. :beer:
My dregs keg that includes bits of everything I have kegged for the last 6\8 brews tastes better than my poor Oktoberfest effort. :( :p
Most of my beers are drinkable at least but this is a very poor attempt at a world renowned beer by a celebrated brewer & I can't help but admit I need guidance here? :(

Recipe -----------------

View attachment Oktoberfest.txt

TP

Need more info on what you didn't like about the beer Pete? Malts, esters etc etc...

Mate just give up and move to Kit and Kilo :eek: Not that there's any thing wrong with that :lol: cough ... There will be no child living in poverty ..........
GB

A total flop to your taste. The taste isn't what you expected it to be ?

I notice you did mention that the malt was a little old. From your test file "Vienna upped to 3.00Kg to allow for age degradation." How old was it ? Perhaps the older malt may be where it issue is ?

You also subbed the hops as well. Maybe the different flavour/aroma from those hops as opposed to the original recipe ?

I can't really think of anything else that may be the problem. I can only notice the differences that you have pointed out already.

Why? Wished i asked that myself some years ago. Why not do up to 9 x 1200l batches a week ... ohh the humanity!

Brewers do not plan, they do, planning is for the sales reps ....

Scotty

Back