Why use 9.5L vs 19L Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart99

Reaction score
The price of a new 9.5L keg is only $10 cheaper than a 19L, so I'm wondering what are the advantages of buying the smaller keg over tipping your 9L batch into a larger keg. Although it is one way of limiting your drinking I suppose. šŸ˜ And yes I did RTFF

Does it really make that much difference in weight? I'm guessing 21kg for a full 19L vs 11 for a 9.5. Or is it a matter of being able to fit it into an Esky?

Also space. I don't have enough storage space (both cold and not) to keep that many full size corny kegs around. So I have a few smaller kegs I can transfer into to free up a full sized keg for the next batch.

The 9.5L fits into my esky perfectly makes it easy for parties/bbqs as I can fit 2 in there.
small batches too.
Split half keg/half bottles as I give some to me old man. Itā€™s also good to see the difference between keg/bottle.

I'm considering getting rid of the 19L cornies, plus the freezer, font taps etc, because I have no where in the house to keep it, and 19L is a LOT. I have a second fridge in the house, and can fit a few half cornies in it by removing 2 shelves.

The smaller size therefore suits the space I have, and also the quantity of beer I actually drink. I want variety, also.

Last edited:
I justify the beer fridge in the kitchen by having 9.5L kegs. Have three of them + a 4L mini keg of Coffee, so that I still have two shelves and the freezer section for groceries, which was a welcome addition in storage space for the missus.

I have some 19 L and a couple of 9.5 L jobbies, can fit 2 in an esky to take out, also just making a 30 L batch which will fill a 19 L and 9.5 L keg, one for the kegerator and one for BBQs, if we're ever allowed out again.

1. My batches are 7.5 L anyway.
2. Fits nicely on hump of keezer, meaning I can fit more kegs at equal level with a false bottom and save my back.
3. Smaller batches mean faster beer turnover/less time spent drinking the same thing.
4. Due to 1 and 3, a half-size keg lets me waste far less CO2.

50 L Braumeister is a perfect for:
2 x 19L
1 x 9.5L

No bottles.

No waste,

Full unitisation of the 50L capability of the Braumeister into standard Cornelius style kegs.

All my batches run that way.

Cheers
Steve

Its a pity the price of 9.5's isn't inline with the capacity and arent more common 2nd hand, i have 3x19's but would prefer 6x 9.5's but not at the cost of them.

I run 19L and a single 9.5L but my Brother in Law has a 9.5L as well so when we do experimental brews we do a full 20L batch and split the costs. Great for pricy beers like bourbon stouts etc. Helps split the costs and I don't have to try do a half batch.

We also split the request. He proposes a heer, we brew and then I propose a brew. Keeps it interesting.

Its a pity the price of 9.5's isn't inline with the capacity and arent more common 2nd hand, i have 3x19's but would prefer 6x 9.5's but not at the cost of them.
When I bought my 9.5L there were only Italian made one's and I think I paid $180 each for them. They may have been fathers day presents. Bu they suit what I do so much I found them worth it.

You can still get those Italian one's but there are good cheaper alternatives now.

Cheers
Steve

I use an italian made 9.5L so I can get 4 taps out of a series 4 kegarator. The 9.5L fits nicely on the compressor bulge at the back. It does need a mostly full keg in front to hold it in place, but I rarely have a problem with that.

Back