Why No Carbonation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bottle my first partial mash brew, its been in the bottle for 2 weeks now and the is very little carbonation in the bottles. Bottles were primed with white sugar and stored in the garage which is usually approx 25 deg. The brew was in the primary for 14 days at 18Deg, then bottled. Used S-04 yeast. I also made a yeast starter for this brew.

I have no idea why there is so little carbonation compared to all my other brews?

Hey guys,

I recently bottle my first partial mash brew, its been in the bottle for 2 weeks now and the is very little carbonation in the bottles. Bottles were primed with white sugar and stored in the garage which is usually approx 25 deg. The brew was in the primary for 14 days at 18Deg, then bottled. Used S-04 yeast. I also made a yeast starter for this brew.

I have no idea why there is so little carbonation compared to all my other brews?

quite common this problem,
well its not really a problem because eventually it will carb up, patience is whats needed, sometimes it takes a bit longer for the yeast to get going, dont worry it will carb, keep it around 18/25 deg for another 2 weeks and it will be fine.
fergi

I tipped some of my bottles once as they were still flat after a month and then a few weeks later, spot on but I would give them another couple weeks. Maybe it's the tyPe of yeast. Is there sediment in the the bottom.

I'd leave them another couple weeks then try before you go inverting the bottles. How did you prime the bottles. Bulk prime or separate

What did ya measure with. I've Only ever used carbon drops

s04 does floc quicker than other yeast like us05, there will be yeast there though but maybe a few less thsn your used too for other , as pointed out above let them sit for another few weeks and test again.

Cheers BDB

Look into bulk primIng as you get more consistency and saves priming every bottle. I wasn't sure about the yeast but as pointed out it does drop out quicker but will still carb your bottles. Give it some time sure it will work out. Mine have before. If your in a hurry to drink maybe someone else can advise on inverting your bottles to suspend the yeast more but don't shake ya Precious beer

I have had S04 take longer to carb, about a month, but after it did, I stored the bottles in the fridge and the beer was clear as anything.

Your yeast probably floc'd and settled well in the fermenter as S04 is a very fast fermenter and can go from 1050 to 1015 and clear in a few days and you had it in there for 2 weeks.

Many people don't like the chalky taste S04 can give but it disappears after a few weeks. A great yeast IMO.

Is there any carbonation at all, or is there just very little compared to what you're used to?

I know people say 2 weeks is OK to start cracking them open but if you can be patient, you'll be rewarded.

I haven't used s04 too often but different yeasts act differntly and can affect carb timing.

Back