Why is starsan making my spray bottle all saggy and warped?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Why has starsan turned my spray bottle into a saggy old lizard? I haven't applied heat to the bottle or nothing. :(

Saggy Starsan.jpg

Wow thats pretty drastic, did you get your concentration levels correct?

Yeah i do 1.6ml per litre (its a litre bottle), last time due to the sag i did 1.5 to account for some over flow.. but now it is pretty much totally squished. Was thinking it might be the cheap plastic as I got this one from a cheap shop?

Obviously a Crazy Clark's bottle. I prefer the Reject Shop model.

I have had working strength Starsan in the same spray bottle (from Big W) since 2011 and had no issues. Must have been a crappy bottle??

This one was from Sams warehouse. Maybe I left it in the sun and made the plastic shitty in the past. I'll go get another one

Just collapsing from the vacuum created my spraying by the looks of it, happens to mine all the time.

itmechanic said:
Just collapsing from the vacuum created my spraying by the looks of it, happens to mine all the time.
Yeah you are right, i've squeezed the air out. I was just hoping it wasn't the acid eating it or a chemical reaction or anything.

Yeah mine went like that too. Actually just piffed it last night for a new on. A non cheap shop one this time.
Not that it mattered, still did the job!

I had a spray bottle just like that one that didn't breathe properly so the more I sprayed the more vacuum was created inside the bottle. I drilled a hole in the side of the neck and it fixed it.

DOh! just noticed….

itmechanic said:

If it was filled with hot water, it may exacerbate that effect upon cooling.

Warranty claim.

Hope you kept the receipt and only used pure water in it at room temprature and made sure it was kept in a cool dark cupboard that wasnt infected with baby midgets,kittens or small giants.

Just replaced my hills starsan spray bottle.

It was about 4 years old, kept in the fridge with starsan. Plastic went brittle and it split one day when I got it caught between the keg and the door :)

Oh well, onto my second now. I can afford a new spray bottle. Funny thing is I still have more than half the bottle of starsan.

Back