Why Is My Tastey Beer Cloudy ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagungal

Reaction score
Oh .. here is the go. I brewed an ESB Fresh wort kit APA. This is one of the best tasteing beers I have brewed (I am no expert by the way).

The only problem is it is cloudy. Personally I could not give two hoots and I tell other people it is just like Coopers Pale Ale. Other people agree it is pretty tastey.

But ... Why is it cloudy. This beer was pretty easy, just stick a fresh yeast into the wort, let it brew for a week, move to secondary for a couple of weeks and bottle.

Any ideas ??

Hmm, sorry I've got no idea then :(

I thought maybe you hadn't let it settle for long enough, but it should clear even before carbonation has finished I suppose.

Unless you are pouring sediment off with the beer...but you would be doing that accidentally would you? :D

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Hmm, sorry I've got no idea then :(

I thought maybe you hadn't let it settle for long enough, but it should clear even before carbonation has finished I suppose.

Unless you are pouring sediment off with the beer...but you would be doing that accidentally would you? :D

PZ.
[post="90211"][/post]​

I carefully poor into my Jug - so it is not the yeast. Umm .. the yeast from two bottles tonight went into a damper for the BBQ.

Thanks for trying to help.

Try putting the bottles in a cold fridge 2C for a week or so and if it is yeast it will drop out of suspension

pumpy

Fingerlickin_B said:
Jagungal said:
the yeast from two bottles tonight went into a damper for the BBQ.

Hey, I never thought of that...how does it taste? :)

PZ.
[post="90217"][/post]​

Tastes like a damper - bit dampery and BBQy but you don't really taste the beer. The yeast is mainly used to help it rise. I put it in a bread machine, it mixes it up and then leave it for an hour or two to rise in mild heat. When it is big and fluffy you put it in foil and then on the BBQ ... then open it up after a few more beers - slighly doughy but a lovely bread aroma and great with a butter and honey.

hey jagungal,i've done couple of the fresh wort kits and mine turn out cloudy as well although i keg mine so i thought it was just draging the yeast off the bottom.
but in the end it always turns out a great brew so don't worry that it's a little cloudy as long as it tastes good..... :beer:

OCC said:
hey jagungal,i've done couple of the fresh wort kits and mine turn out cloudy as well

Well thats interesting .... could be the kits them self maybe ?

but in the end it always turns out a great brew so don't worry that it's a little cloudy as long as it tastes good.....

Well that is what I said at the start - that I don't give two hoots cause it tastes good. Being someone that always tries to learn and improve with each brew though, I was curious to know if anyone (Gurus) had any ideas as to why it was cloudy - just pure curiosity and to a certain extent trying to improve what I do with every brew that I do.

I do a few different types - partials kinda, I know why I stuff some of them up - but that one was mean't to be my no-brainer.

Latest posts

Back