Why is my gravity high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane0

Reaction score
Hi, just wanting to know why my gravity is high. The expected OG was meant to be around 1.054 and mine was 1.065 and the FG was meant to be around 1.012 and mine is 1.036, what has happened and what can I do about it? New to all grain brewing and advice would be much appreciated.

Can we have some information about recipe, method, measuring equipment and so on?

So far it's like asking 'why is my concrete path crooked' without any other clues.

Did you use a refractometer to measure gravity?
How much yeast did you pitch?
What was expected gravity based on?
What was mash temp?

Was my first brew using my grainfather, the gravity was based on the recommendations on the recipe that was followed as far as I know 100% correct. And yes a refractometer was used to measure gravity.

shane0 said:
Was my first brew using my grainfather, the gravity was based on the recommendations on the recipe that was followed as far as I know 100% correct. And yes a refractometer was used to measure gravity.
What efficiency did u base the recipe on?

Did you use a calculator to correct your refractometer reading for FG? Once alcohol is involved, a refractometer won't read correctly.

Was your refractometer calibrated?

I foolishly relied on a mash master temperature gauge once.

From memory it was about 10C out of wack.

It's now calibrated and is used only as a guide.

I'm pretty sure the resulting beer was mashed at a too high a temperature and dropped to about the same gravity as yours, 1.036 or so.

The beer was tasty, full bodied, but low alcohol, which was ok for me.

Refractometer needs to be corrected for alcohol once the brew is fermenting.
Might at least explain high fg.

I gave up on my refractometer after it was consistently different to my hydrometer readings. Theres a pretty hefty thread on here about refractometers and theres also some good info on the Brewers Friend site. At the very least ignore the SG scale if it has one. If its a cheap one like mine id be dubious towards those readings. Get a hydrometer to begin with before you mess with a refractometer.

Thanks for all the info guys, I used a refractometer calculator and if correct it turns out I'm not far off the money.

There's an easy refractometer conversion chart that Warra48 put up in the refractometers thread page 11 or so. Easy to use and I find accurate to about 1 to2 points which is fine. Especially when the brew is underway. Print one off and leave in brew house. Makes conversion quick and simple.

Back