Why Is My Fg So Low?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Put down a Parched as Bro Pale Ale on Friday night.....pretty pleased how it went for a second ever AG BIAB. Temps all went well and OG came out at 1050 (temp adjusted). Pitched the Nottingham on top of the wort and it went gangbusters - churning away something frantic. Three days into the four day ferment, I check the gravity. First thing I observe is that the sample is mega bubbly and frothy - more bubbles and head retention than my currently bottled last brew!!! Had to let it sit for a good while so I could get an accurate reading from the hydrometer.....and it came out at 1008. What the? This is meant to OG out at 1015 and I can't even confirm that it's done.
So any clues what's gone on here? Did I make a mistake in pitching all 11g in the wort as it is only a 17l batch? Something else?
Chris

Probably mashed a bit lower than you expected and it attenuated out more than you expected. The pitching rate was probably a little over, but it's better to be over than under. The froth and bubbles are normal, as there is CO2 in solution from fermentation. 3 - 4 days to FG from 1050 is normal.

I did the same brew on Thursday night, my OG was 1.045. Tonight its down to 1.006. I cant beleive how fast it ferments out. I also pitched the full 11g of Nottingham in a 23 litre batch. I mashed at 66 for 60 mins with a 10 min ramp to 75c at mash out.

Ahhhhh there's the answer.......... noto is a 3 day yeast.

It will eat concrete that stuff!

I mashed at 65 for 90mins and lost about 3 degrees. Didn't ramp up after boil at all.
I will say that it's tasting pretty good at this point so I'm not ultra concerned about the OG. More so just wondering the reasoning behind it all. Also want to make sure I get my bulk priming right as I under carbed my first BIAB DrSmurtosGA. Definateky gonna salvage some of the yeast cake from this brew and have a go at using it again - such lively little fellas those Nottinghams!

From the Danstar guys themselves on Notto:

Brewing Properties:
Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17C.
High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008 (2P).

Mashin at 65 and losing 3deg over the mash is 1/2 your answer.

Notto is great. I use it in winter because it can handle cooler temps (~15) without conking out as I don't have a heater.

Mashin at 65 and losing 3deg over the mash is 1/2 your answer.

Notto is great. I use it in winter because it can handle cooler temps (~15) without conking out as I don't have a heater.

Not sure how I can address the temp loss - wrapped the pot in two sleeping bags and a quilt wrapped around a ton of times!!!!

Is 1015 based on what the recipe DB says?

If so - ignore it. I'm not sure how the db calculates FG but it takes nothing into account (apart from a presumably default setting of average attenuation vs original gravity) and has been wrong in practically every beer I've entered in there.

Best to ignore and work out your expectations based on ingredients and process. As others have pointed out - a high attenuating yeast + low-ish mash temp and a gravity that isn't anywhere near nuts means 1015 is pretty unlikely (and undesirable in this instance)

Ive got mine CCing ATM. Im going to keg 18 litres and bottle the rest. Can I assume the notto will wake up and go crazy on the sugar in the bottles? It would be good to have these carbed up ready to drink by Christmas day.

Going to the Bros for lunch so drinking from the keg isnt an option.

Back