Why Is Kellerbier Not In The Bjcp Style Guidelines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a mate in Germany right now in preparation for the Oktoberfest.
He is drinking this Kellerbier.
I had never heard of it!

How come this is not a seperate style for the BJCP?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellerbier

BJCP guidelines are certainly by no means exhaustive mate - 80 styles listed, way more than that in the world. Good reason why we judge comps under the AABC here - bastardized version of the BJCP, but gives styles like Aust Pale Ales & Lagers a home for competition here.

If you are going to ANHC this year then it sounds like a great topic of conversation to take up with Gordon Strong - he would be in a pretty good position to comment.

Cheers,

Brendo

A larger or an ale that hasn't been clarified or pasteurised. Sounds like most peoples home brew to me!!

BJCP mention it in style 23 as one of the 'minor styles'. Link. If enough brew these beers and put them in comps, they will become a new BJCP style.

So get brewing, Swinging Beef. :party:

How come this is not a seperate style for the BJCP?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellerbier
Kellerbier ... which is not clarified or pasteurised ...can be either top or bottom fermented ... Kellerbier contains more of its original brewing yeast, as well as vitamins, held in suspension. As a result, it is distinctly cloudy ... Kellerbier and Zwickelbier are often served directly from the barrel (for example, in a beer garden) or bottled.

Maybe it's not a BJCP style because that describes everyone's first few attempts at making home-brew beer. :)

There was a Kellerbier at the canadian SpecTAPular recently, and it was fuckin awesome too, certainly better than most peoples first few homebrew attempts, and a shitload better than 99% of homebrew I've tried even from well respected craft brewers and microbreweries.

Yeah, that was good. I'm glad I snagged a glass of that when I arrived because the keg blew not long after.

All my home and pro beers are Keller, is there any need to make a style due a processing decision?

Scotty

Latest posts

Back