Why I Biab!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Well just bringing my 100% malted wheat beer up to the boil. Used PistolPatchs water sheet and had to use the 3.78 liters per gallon on the results to make it work for me. Dang if it did not work out so far. Only problem now is I have to boil longer because I added a bit more water thinking that the wheat would suck it up.

A 100% malted wheat brew can be mashed in a bag with no additions. Try that in your mash tun. A true SMASH brew with 100% malted wheat. (SMASH, Single Malt And Single Hop)

Now to finish and wait for the yeast to do their bit. Will let you know what I think of it in about 2 weeks. The club competition is November 20th.

I thought about brewing a 100% wheat beer, sounds interesting! How fine did you mill the grain, and how much wort did the grain absorb? Hope it tastes great and does well in competition. Btw what hop and yeast did you use?

If you do a search for 100% malted wheat brew or something like that you will find the thread.

I settled on Hallertau German hops. I am boring and use US-05 as I do not like the fruity yeasts. I usually run the grain through the store mill 3 times but this time I only did it twice. So far my numbers are spot on.

I have had success with a Wit with US –05 and one with S-04. I liked the US-05 better but it also had different hops. The US-05 had Fuggles and the S-04 had Goldings. Funny thing is I did a Ordinary Bitter with Fuggles and did not like it until it had some age. The Wit was half raw wheat and half base malt with about a pound of oats. I used regular oatmeal cereal.

One of the only reasons why I decided on the whole wheat beer was that I could not decide on what to brew with anything else. I am the only one I know local that BIAB’s so thought why not do something ridiculous like a 100% malted wheat brew. I know no one with a mash tun would ever try something so daring.

If we do it next year I am sure I will try something like an Irish Red. I will have to play before then with roasting grain. The more research I did I found it is recommended to let the grain breath for a while to get rid of some of the bad flavors. I am not one to plan too far ahead so the wheat brew suited me.

By the way I am still brewing and planning on an ounce at boil and an ounce at 5 minutes. Hope for some good flavors that way. Oh and it is a short batch of only 3 gallons so it will have even more hop to it.

BIAB would certainly make this easier, but I've done a 100% wheat with a 3tier set up before with no problems, just ran off slowly. If worried, you just need to add some rice hulls (I didn't), & it wont perform any different than any other mash.

Good luck with your beer, i hope it's a good one :)

cheers Ross

I have done many 100% wheat malt beers on a commercial scale and never had a problem, never even used a single rice hull.

Well I got it in the fermentor. Was planning on 3 gallons but ended up with about 2.5 so put it in a 3 gallon carboy. With a packet of dried yeast and all that wheat it should be sounding like an old man with gas by morning. Good thing I ferment in the spare bathtub.

Tasted great but the color is a little on the green side from the hops.

I am thinking this will come out well. Should have brewed a full batch.

Unless I get more questions look for an update in about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back