Why Draught?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why beer out of the keg tastes soooo much better than a beer that you have bottled? I've been asked this a few of times since I got my kegs and I don't want to keep saying "it just does, so shut up and drink it".

I'd be guessing that the possibilites could include:

Not priming with sugar
and
Kegs being kept at a good temperature once the beer is kegged (ie. in the fridge).

Doc

My money is on priming methods ... had one of my bottled brews the other day and the dextrose flavour was off-putting ... don't remeber noticing this when I was only bottling but noe that I have kegs I didn't like it. I may have drank it a bit early :rolleyes:

I am now experimenting with dried malt for priming to see if this reduces the sweet taste ... hope it works.

Doc said:
I'd be guessing that the possibilites could include:

Not priming with sugar
and
Kegs being kept at a good temperature once the beer is kegged (ie. in the fridge).

Doc
I reckon Doc's suggestion about beer being kept in fridge is pretty close. Next time you keg a beer put some into bottles and taste the difference between the keg and bottle as time progresses. I found that with my Steam beer the kegged version at 4 weeks is much more approachable than the bottled.

C&B
TDA

I'd say it's the fridge theory. Cold conditioned beer always tastes better. Also beer kept in a large quantity (ie 20L in a keg) conditions faster and better than beer in bottles, so I've read. Re the priming theory, I have primed exlusively with malt extract before and IMO it tastes no different to priming with dextrose or cane sugar.

- Snow

I agree with the fridge theory, although I prefer my ales bottle-conditioned anyway.

This may complicate the problem solving process, but...

On the weekend I consumed (with help) a 1.5L Grolsch bottle, and a 2L NT Stubbie of a Grumpy's M/Brew Brown Ale I did early last year.

I last tasted this particular brew at christmas and thought "it's past it's prime, better drink it all quick", most of the flavours had disappeared. This weekend out of the bigger than normal bottles (which had been stored in the same cupboard at normal temps (20-30 degs)) they tasted absolutely supurb, and I'd rate them as some of the best tasting homebrew I've made!! The mate I was drinking with was very vehement about this fact !!

So - Same batch, same storage conditions, same chilling process and time, larger storage containers, MUCH better beer.

From this you'd say that the volume you store has something to do with the aging process??

Boots said:
From this you'd say that the volume you store has something to do with the aging process??
Boots.

Are you sure taht it is not the volume you drink that has something to do with the aging process?

:lol:

:lol:

We had been having a *few* pale ales over the course of the day.

I also knocked over a 6pack (again with help) of my 1 year old Grumpy's Marston's Pedigree ( I put it down when my daughter was born, and it was her first birthday on the weekend). Bewdiful. :chug:

So ... yes, my palate had been warmed up prior to tasting the brown ale, but we still had most of our wits about us :blink: ... I think.

Back