Why do people try to mimic historic water profiles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungrel

Reaction score
I assume it was common knowledge that even breweries that have been established last century treated their water sources before brewing.

So why do I often read that people are trying to mimic certain water sources (like Burton) and not the profile of the brewery or breweries in the area?

I might be wrong here, but my understanding is that we have different beers due to the different water and different yeasts of different areas.

So "Burtonising" water will accentuate the hops. So historically the ales from this area were a bit hoppier than old mate in the next county who used the same recipe but had a different water source.

but also YOLO.

Make the water/mash minerals appropriate to the beer style or desired result.

Replicating alleged profiles (which change through history) and discounting brewery water treatment is an arse about approach in my estimation.

I would say they 'why' lies in a common approach to explaining water chem.

>Replicating alleged profiles (which change through history) and discounting brewery water treatment is an arse about approach in my estimation.

+1 to that

Speights down in UnZUD rave about their mineral groundwater used in their historic brewery. They allow locals to take water from the bore tap for free (recommend a gold coin donation).

They reckon that the kegged beer (from Dunedin) tastes different to the Auckland bottled product (same label) brewed with the same water profile .. but not the same water.

good4whatAlesU said:
Speights down in UnZUD rave about their mineral groundwater used in their historic brewery. They allow locals to take water from the bore tap for free (recommend a gold coin donation).

They reckon that the kegged beer (from Dunedin) tastes different to the Auckland bottled product (same label) brewed with the same water profile .. but not the same water.
That's interesting, it makes total sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
idzy said:
To mimic historic beers.

I don't know a heap (read anything) about water chemistry, given it is one of the four ingredients for beer, a lot of people have dedicated a lot of time to understand it and treat it to get the most out of their beers and/or accomplish what they are looking for in the final product/taste.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Comprehensive-Brewers-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381993
I read a lot about fermentation science and water chemistry, and this is why I am wondering who would copy the source water rather than the brewer's profile.

I often wonder the same.
Ones you know what the various salts bring to the beer, just design the profile you want adjust the pH and go for it.
About the only benefit to historic water profiles is that it gave us some clues what the various salts do, back before we could analyse the water and build it to speck.
Mark

idzy said:
To mimic historic beers.

I don't know a heap (read anything) about water chemistry, given it is one of the four ingredients for beer, a lot of people have dedicated a lot of time to understand it and treat it to get the most out of their beers and/or accomplish what they are looking for in the final product/taste.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Comprehensive-Brewers-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381993
Question is "why mimic (alleged) historical profiles" rather than ""why treat mash/water at all?"

It's a valid question.

1. Water profile being mimicked may be inaccurately reported or only accurate for a given point in history (could be a day, a month, a year or a decade).
2. Even if a reported profile were accurate over a lengthy period of time, there is no reason to believe breweries have used that source only and used it without treating in any particular way. In fact brewery records in many instances point to the opposite.
3. Even if reported profiles were accurate AND breweries used it untreated does not automatically make it the best water for that particular beer.

We understand the chemical effects of various minerals so as MHB suggests - let's use those to their full advantage to make the best beer possible. Mimicking an historical beer properly will need more than just tricking up water according to a table found on the net or trying to emulate a river that once ran next to an open sewer in 1709.

Additionally a lot of people seem to mimic reported profile, not because they are making Bass xxx but because they are making a UK IPA and that's what the water MUST be.

If you have an accurate record of what that water was, along with everything else, fair enough. Beersmith for example contains generic profiles for a number of famous cities - pretty much flying blind if you don't know why and how.

What's dublin water mean? Now? Last year? 1806? 1917 after the big zinc accident?

Its common knowledge that historical water profiles lead to the development of beers for that region. ie Dublin water being so high in bicarbonates lead to the use of roasted grains etc etc

Now if I was doing my best and using as much relevant information as I could to clone that said stout, I would:

1: Use a grist as close as known to the original
2: Use a hop schedule as close as known to the original
3: Use a yeast as close as known to the original

and finally, yes we all know whats next

4: use a water profile as close as known to the original.

Not to mention 'back in the day' they used copper and wood for most things (not stainless steel) so undoubtedly that would have contributed to the flavour profiles.

Edit: There was also a heap of smoke and crap floating around in the air during the 1800's which would no doubt have made it into any open fermentation vats.

Edit 2: Correspondingly the consumers lungs and taste buds were fairly fuct. from breathing in polluted air all day. Ahh the good old days, lucky were the ones who emigrated.

timmi9191 said:
Its common knowledge that historical water profiles lead to the development of beers for that region. ie Dublin water being so high in bicarbonates lead to the use of roasted grains etc etc

Now if I was doing my best and using as much relevant information as I could to clone that said stout, I would:

1: Use a grist as close as known to the original
2: Use a hop schedule as close as known to the original
3: Use a yeast as close as known to the original

and finally, yes we all know whats next

I get the concept. Question is how close to the original as used by the brewery at what point in time?

EG. Dublin water is generally soft these days. So: what's ''Dublin'' water mean?

timmi9191 said:
Amongst their other points, I think this is what manticle and MHB et al is essentially arguing - that the actual water profile of the water used in the beer is NOT known.
Just because it was the state of the water at one point in a given region on the day of testing does NOT mean it's the same water at the brewery site, let alone the actual water that brewery uses in their BEER. And you'd be surprised how far back records of salts additions in breweries go back.
As far as "regional" water reports go - total waste of time. The variation from town to town in the same district can be huge.

Basically they're saying what people are trying to mimic (the reports) are factually wrong, in the sense it's not what was actually used in the beer in the first place.
The intention is great, but the profiles to replicate are not, in reality, known.

Make a a good English bitter with soft water

Then, using the same recipe

Make a good English bitter with hard/Burtonised water

This will answer your question

OK, all points taken and accepted.

But...

Pale malt now is different to pale malt then... No doubt fuggles has gone through seasonal and generational changes. The yeasts too would have gone through generational changes.

We use the pale available now and use the hops and yeast available now. we use the information about the water to make a relevant water profile from our water. In that sense its the only ingredient we can significantly alter at the home brew level. We dont use our local water unaltered to make that beer, we alter it. Why not alter it to the specs of what we are informed are relevant to making that beer.

Agree Stu - a very relevant example of the benefit of mimicing water profiles

Latest posts

Back