Why Are My Og's Higher Than Calculated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
I put down 3 different kits/extract and bits recipes on Friday night. I used Ians spreadsheet to and in all three my actual OGs are higher than those calculated. Any ideas or suggestion on what I did wrong?

Heres the 3 Recipes.

Orange & Coriander Wheat beer.

1 can Tooheys Classic Dry Lager
500g Dried Light Malt
1.1 ltr Can Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
250g Crystal
Amarillo 10g @ 20mins
Amarillo 10g @ 10mins
Amarillo 10g @ 0mins
25g Coriander seeds
zest annd Juice of 3 oranges
WB06 yeast
Expected OG according to spreadsheet = 1048
Actual OG = 1056

Recipe 2 Styrian G Choc Coffee Dark Ale

750g Dried Light Malt
400ml expresso coffee
120g light Crystal Malt
250g Chocolate Malt
120g Dark Crystal Malt
20 g Styrian Golding Hops @ 45 mins
10g Styrian Golding Hops @10mins
Nottingham yeast
Expected OG according to spreadsheet = 1051
Actual OG = 1070

Recipe 3 Nelson Sauv Crystal Ale
750g Dried Light Malt
120g light Crystal Malt
120g Dark Crystal Malt
1kg Honey
10g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 15mins
15g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 5mins
10g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 0mins
US05 yeast
Expected OG according to spreadsheet = 1048
Actual OG = 1056

Any thoughts on why the actual OGs are different or comments on these recipes would be appreciated

maybe you haven't mixed the extracts in thoroughly so the sugars are sitting down the bottom of the fermenter, causing the OG to appear higher.

often caused by having extract in the tap not mixed properly
edit; too slow again

Or not putting as much water into the fermenter.

All 3 are spot on 23 litres and I always run a bit thorugh the tap first before taking the sample.

Just takinga quick look at your first recipe

Assumingabout a 65% yield from the Crystal I get 1.056, which is what you got.

The onlything I can think of is that can of Coopers wheat, its 1.5 Kg at about 80%solids so it contributes 1.2 Kg of extract, did you put the mass or the volumeinto the calculation?

MHB

Hi

I would expect the spreadsheet calculated OG to be pretty close as they have been compared to those calculated by other software and I don't know of any problems. As suggested could be mixing problems.

However there is a problem in that most software does not calculate FG correctly and the K & E spreadsheet is no different. Where Malts and grains are used the FG's should be good, but as in recipe 3 with the honey the FG calculated will be higher as honey is 100% fermentable and the spreadsheet does not allow for this (neither does Beersmith, Promash). I have just done a BIAB spreadsheet that allows for the fermentability of adjuncts.

cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian

I didnt think for a second there was anything wrong with the spreadsheet. I always assume i am doing something wrong (or at least not quite right).

I was accurate with most of the wieghts and measures but no so in bringing the hop boil up to 1040. I just took a guess out of the total dry malt to get the amount prescribed. could that make a difference to the end result. Total ingredients are right but not order and timing that they are put????

Back