Why are Aussie lagers called "bitters"?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nineball

Reaction score
Given that "bitter" is traditionally a kind of English ale, why are Aussie lagers like VB, Melbourne Bitter and XXXX Bitter called "bitters"?

Were they based off English bitters once upon a time, or did "bitter" mean a specific kind of lager?

Spin doctor magic maybe
Bitter isn't a technical term used to mean either Ale or Lager, go back far enough and the term is used to differentiate between Hop "Bittered" beers and the older Gruit (among other) beers, even the terms Ale and Beer were used this way(different times and places).
I know Bitter, Best Bitter, ESB... are used today to describe particular UK style beers, but they don't have a patent on the term "bitter".
Mark

I also think most of these beers started as ales and then transitioned to lagers over time.

That’s definitely happened with some Australian ales, where they switched from ale strains to lager strains.

And in modern times some of them switched back.

i believe it's explained in the book bronzed brews. The word lager is German and these beers were popping up around the time when German was a dirty word. No sensible brewer at he time was going to associate their hard work with Germany.

Its a misused, generalized word like Draught. Total lack of imagination when naming a beer.

Draught beer, also spelt draft, is beer served from a cask or keg rather than from a bottle or can.

So any beer from a keg is Draught beer.

and yet look at all the beers named Draught that are served in bottles and cans. :doofus:

I sometimes explain on deaf ears usually. To megaswill drinkers who make statement like :
"I only like Draught Beer" pfff! As if its a style or something.
Or
"I don't like Bitters". I just smile and try not to roll my eyes.

Clueless titles for the clueless majority of the market etc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry - but - "enplane?"

Haha I remember as an apprentice being told to “liaise with the service manager”
My thoughts were “You want me to do what with the service manager?!?”

As a profoundly bad speller who has to rely on "auto correct". yep it can be a blessing and a curse.
Mark

I swear auto spell is a curse sometimes. Explain is what I thought I wrote which the obvious but no.
Auto correct would assume to throw in the word enplane! I never even new that was a word. So for clarity I didn't board an airplane. :confused:
Unfortunately, the Americanism "airplane" gets thrown in with autocorrect, as nothing exists outside the USA.
While the US IPA is a fantastic beer in its own right, don't get me started on the corruption of the term IPA.

Latest posts

Back