Who's Used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just aquired myself a smack pack of Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. I've always wanted to give this stuff a go. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :blink:

Information I've managed to glean from Wyeast and other sites say that this is a bit of a difficult beast to handle. Supposedly throws loads of diacetyl if under-oxygenated and tends to want to flocc out all the time.

Just looking to hear of other people's experiences with it. Any good? How does it wind up etc. Any info would be most helpful. :)

What have I let myself in for? :lol:

Warren -

Also is supposed to have a complex ester profile. :ph34r:

Warren -

I've never used it Warren, but saw a few references to it on Northern Brewer. You may have already seen these.

Most comments were that it was ok if treated well (who isn't B) ). This thread was good, this was also useful, but this one was just ugly. :eek:

I'm intrigued now. Tell us how the beast goes.

I have tried about three brews with it and my verdict is that it is a ******* and I probably wont bother with it again. Found it to be a real pain to get it to attenuate enough (read stir fermenter about 3 times). Can't say I was overwhelmed with any flavour profile it had either considering the effort.

Stick to 1968 I say :)

Hope you have more luck than I had.

Stuster said:
but this one was just ugly. :eek:

I'm intrigued now. Tell us how the beast goes.
[post="116705"][/post]​

Thanks Stuster and Jason. I'll let you know how it goes. To tell you the truth it's got me rather excited after years of over-using 1028 and 1968. A crazy change is as good as a holiday. :lol:

See what you mean about that last thread Stuster. Given American's like for junk-food a bit of excess yeast coursing through their bowels is probably doing them a favour. :blink:

Warren -

By the sounds of it, put the fermenter on a large 'lazy susan', so you can 'twist' the fermenter easily and rouse the yeast atleast once a day......

TDA

Can't say ATM. The beer gets racked to the kegs on Friday night. Seemed to behave really nicely in the first 24 hours. From there on it just wanted to drop bright before finishing the job. <_<

Drops out even quicker than Wyeast 1968 if you can believe that. What I did was rouse or swirl the glasss carboys with a bit of gusto twice daily for about 4 days, a head of foam would reform, after about 4 days (OG 1.039) the foaming ceased. I'd assume it's fermented out. I've just got it sitting in the primary for now. Will be 12 days in the fermenter when it's kegged.

Results should be interesting to say the least... Hopefully worth the extra effort. :blink:

I plan to dump a Porter on the cakes Easter Sunday. :beerbang:

Warren -

Have you taken a FG reading yet Warren?

cheers Ross

No Ross.

I ferment in glass carboys... No taps to obsess about. :lol:

I've often been tempted to buy a wine thief OTOH I've fermented this way for a few years with no hassles. Believe it or not it teaches you to ferment your beer and basically forget about it for 7-10 days. Less stress to my day.

I observed this behaviour from the Ringwood in the starters. I stepped the starter up twice and there were the same characteristics, swirling until the ferment stopped restarting denoted it was finished. I reckon in a 1.039 beer the job should be pretty much done. Diacetyl "may" be the only worry and a perceived characteristic of the yeast. :beerbang:

Little in a low grav ord. bitter is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Warren -

G'day Stuster

Have done an Ordinary Bitter and Porter with it. :)

She's no beast by any means. :beerbang: Just a little tempermental and wants to drop out 48 hours after pitching.

Bitter has come out true to style with just a little residual diacetyl and some nice, unusual but subdued esters that seems to add a nice bit of complexity.

Just kegged the Porter last night and first impressions from the fermenter are awesome. :)

Think it just needs to be roused or swirled after 2 days... Bit like Wyeast 1968.

Overall I'd say a good yeast for your running, rapid grain to brain beers.

Warren -

'my precious' is my favouritw yeast and easy to use. It is easy to use using good brewing practice.

Good o2 levels and starter size is required. This is a fantasstic top-cropping yeast and also an excellent floculator.

Never have an issue, and now with the former head brewer of RIngwood on our team, i have the inside running.

Scotty

I've just popped my Ringwood Ale cherry with a staple brew - an ESB 95% Maris Otter, 5% crystals.
Thanks for the tips here and elsewhere - Warren especially - regarding aeration, rousing etc.

I have just one question.
I am in the habit of tasting my starters before pitching and this one was unique to say the least.
It's got a big fruity nose, very neutral palate and a surprisingly sharp, almost bitter aftertaste. Certainly like no other yeast starter I've tasted.
Now if it were any other yeast I'd be having mild anxiety attacks about it being infected. As I've never had an infected starter, and as this is the notorious Ringwood, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Has anyone else tasted similar with a Ringwood Ale starter????
:(

G'dayVoosher.

Just very fruity/estery. Not really bitter (did you hop your starter highly?) Maybe even a little unique. If you're sure it's not infected ride it out. The results are well worth it. :)

Warren -

Warren,

I don't hop my starters but that's exactly what it tasted like. Certainly not vinegary or astringent.

So does 1187 detect underhopped worts and adjust bitterness as well?
Wow. What a yeast.
:beerbang:

I'm looking forward to the results. I've cuddled it three times since pitching this afternoon.
Cheers.

So does 1187 detect underhopped worts and adjust bitterness as well?

:lol: If only!

Certainly would save a pile of hops. :)

Sounds like the starter should be OK. Enjoy the resultant beer.

Warren -

I've just racked this beast after 2 weeks fermenting. I roused it twice a day for the first 10 days and kept it around 20-21C for the duration and it happily chugged its way down from 1057 down to 1014. I'd guess I can get away with less nurturing next time but of course first time around I didn't want to take any chances.
The aromas during ferment are awesome. The fun of rousing it twice daily was being able to stick my nose deep into the brew fridge and suck it in long and deep. Mmmmmmm.
I've also just tasted the SG sample and while I know we often get overly excited about tasters during ferment this one blows my mind. Really deep maltiness and almost a smoky nose to it. Fantastic.
Get on the Ringwood train folks. This will not be my last.
:chug:

Edit: Spelling.

Brilliant!! Another one lured to the dark side. Feel the Ringwood force. :ph34r:

Warren -

Get on the Ringwood train folks. This will not be my last.
:chug:
[/quote]

Been on this train since my first AG which used Ringwood. Screwtops first AG if I remember right was also Ringwood [I think <_< ] as I gave him some at that time.

Back