Whoops... screwed my step mash.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
So, whilst ramping from 65-70 I went and did some whipper snipping... came back and my mash was at 88c. I immediately added 5L of cold and it got down to 70c in about 45 seconds.

Have I competely ruined the third stage of the mash? Im guessing it was over 70c for 10mins or so. 88c is pretty high for a mash.

It sat back down at 70c for around 15 more mins.

Schedule was:

50c for 10
65c for 30
70c for 30
76c mashout.

Steps one and two were fine.

Above about 78-80 any alpha activity woul be very rapidly destroyed. Your beta rest still would have been effective and some alpha activity may also have occured.
Unlikely to have the profile you were chasing but you will still have wort that yeast can ferment.

The alpha rest can go very quickly indeed, I often do a "cereal mash" where I add a kilo out of the malt bill to a pot of boiled rice or maize slurry at 72 degrees, and usually after about two minutes of stirring the thick porridge has been zapped to a thin dextrin soup that then gets added to the main mash. It's so quick that often after about twenty stirs I can actually feel it suddenly loosening up.

I'd say you would have gone through that zone even slower than that, so you shouldn't have any major problems. If I've caught you in time, try cooling back to 72 and mash in a half kilo of fresh crushed base malt, stir for ten minutes then hoist bag or sparge or whatever your method is.

So, whilst ramping from 65-70 I went and did some whipper snipping...

You may have created a new style akin to a lawnmower beer. Whipper Snipper Weisse? Brushcutter Bitter? Maybe Line-Cutter Lager? Sorry. Been up since 2.30am and having a few SWPA's to unwind.
I suppose a lot would depend on how quickly your system ramps to temp. But, as a Taswegian once said: "Unlikely to have the prifile you were chasing but you will still have wort that yeast can ferment."
Not sure what a prifile is but I'm sure it's relevant.

How did you get it to 88? Did you do the old "It should be fine in manual for a few minutes" or does this happen a lot?

Adr_0 said:
How did you get it to 88? Did you do the old "It should be fine in manual for a few minutes" or does this happen a lot?
Grainfather, set to boil (to heat to the next step quicker) and then absent mindedness.

Thanks all for your advice. It's cubed now, so I'll know if it was good or not in mid Dec after it's fermented and lagered :)

slcmorro said:
... came back and my mash was at 88...
Was there any sign of burning tyre tracks, a young kid called Marty McFly and/or an old eccentric man going by the name of Doc?

In all seriousness, hope it was salvaged.

slcmorro said:
Grainfather, set to boil (to heat to the next step quicker) and then absent mindedness.

Thanks all for your advice. It's cubed now, so I'll know if it was good or not in mid Dec after it's fermented and lagered :)
looking forward to the results mate!

So it's almost fermented completely now, and exhibiting no signs of a burnt flavour or anything of the like.

Latest posts

Back