Whoops! Melted Slant.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
I took a slant someone gave me from the fridge yesterdy, intending to warm it up before re-slanting and culturing for a brew, and it melted! The donor told me it was gelatine so that explains it. Now the yeast is at the bottom of the goop. I guess its just wort with gelatine so it gonna be OK isn't it??? :unsure:

Presumably if it was all sterile going in (ie. the gelatin mixture), then it'll still be sterile inside the sealed container.

I'd just go for it and pitch the lot into your starter vessel.

A bit of extra gelatine won't hurt anything.

I would guess you'll be OK.
...you might want to shoot MikE a PM - I exchanged same slants with him earlier this week (yep, during the heat wave). I'm in Melbourne, he's in Adelaide. He used agar in his, and they turned up hot to the touch, but NOT melted (express post). I used gelatine, and no surprises, they melted (even with a few measly ice-packs). He'd have some suggestions about what to do with melted slants!

Where does one buy Agar all my prepared uninnoculated slants have melted. I would rather start again than risk gelatin again.
Cheers Altstart

Where does one buy Agar all my prepared uninnoculated slants have melted. I would rather start again than risk gelatin again.
Cheers Altstart

Try an asian supermarket. You can usually find good size bags in there. Ask them would be easiest than trying to locate it in there yourself - mind you when I asked them they couldn't even find it - and they spoke/read the language on the signage!

BF, if you head down to Central Markets the 'permanent' Asian grocery shop right down the back used to sell it. I got some in sachets and it was reasonably priced (although I don't remember the exact price or amount in the sachet, I do recall being pleasantly surprised at the low price). I thought the measured sachet thing was quite convenient as well. It is actually labelled "Agar", and not something illegible/un-translatable to the non-multi-lingual amongst us (ie:me)

Back