Whoops. Frozen Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
Just checked my fermenter that had been cold crashing for 3 days to find that it's frozen solid!
It's a pale ale with US05.
I had it in a fridge that I am unfamiliar with as the fermentation fridge is still being used.
Can I just thaw it out and keg it ? Or is it buggered.

So no harm done at all?
I'll leave it till tomorrow then keg it?

As Norco says, consider an EisPA..

As it defrosts look to remove the last block of ice that looks pretty clear, look up Eisbock for info on the technique

Leave it to thaw and keg as normal, it will be fine. Ive done this before myself

How old is the fermenter the freezing could stress the fermenter with the expansion and could fail at a later time.

Pretty old. I'm gunna keg it this afternoon. I'll check it out when I clean it.

Did this myself end of last winter when I froze batch of lager solid. Was worried as I rely on natural carbonation. Defrosted the fermenter and did a fast ferment test in a sanitised bottle which was over primed and capped with a sanitised balloon. Few days later and the balloon was filling up. Bottled as normal and they carbed up fine (took a bit longer than normal). The yeasties really are tough little buggers.

AJ80 said:
Did this myself end of last winter when I froze batch of lager solid. Was worried as I rely on natural carbonation. Defrosted the fermenter and did a fast ferment test in a sanitised bottle which was over primed and capped with a sanitised balloon. Few days later and the balloon was filling up. Bottled as normal and they carbed up fine (took a bit longer than normal). The yeasties really are tough little buggers.
If freezing killed yeast would make a lot of brewers happy like cider that gets too dry or ginger beer.

I did this with a scotch ale @6.5% ABV. I was bottle carbing so added some DME to wake up the yeast and away she went, no dramas

Latest posts

Back