Who Will Judge Me.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feral Shane

Reaction score
Been offline for sometime while I sought out the worlds problems over seas, its good to be home and brewing again.
So I'm drinking my latest house crafted beer (see what I did there) it's not home brew.
It's an ESB made using the recipe in Jamil's brewing classic styles. Used the ingredients as stipulated in the recipe as much as I wanted, it is a house crafted beer.
Now I think it's great and could sing its praises from the highest peeks. My Friends and family say its good but they drink for free and really, they don't care what it tastes like.
SO how do I know how good it is. Who is out there in brew land that is going to say Feral Ale Drinker your beer is shite, or, as I think, it's great.
I'm not a member of a house craft beer club, or home brew club if your that way inclined. Should I be bothered sending my beer somewhere so that some bloke (or sheila) can say this is shite or otherwise. Or should I stick with the Status Quo (I love that band - I'm Old) and have my friends and family say - "man you are really on the money with this beer". Should I care or just grab my board and get the next wave. Brew an other style to see what my friends say or put my beer in a competition.
Do I really need the grief if I get a bad judgement.
Anyway what do you do for a reference point, friends,family or judge. Just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
Meanwhile I'm getting amongst the waves, I've had too much sand not enough water for my liking.

Here's cheers RAGS :D .

Either send me a beer in the post and I'll give you my honest, vaguely educated opinion or drink it and share it with those you know and forget about it.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Your beer - your choice into which arena you put it and how much credence you give to others' opinions.

Why not throw it in a comp? Great to get feedback and the poor bastards are trained to pick faults..

..and welcome back to the game, ive been hinting that brewing classic styles would make a good birthday present.

Yob

Where on the Victorian surf coast are you? I am a member of Corio Bay Brewers, a Geelong and Surfcoast based club that meets once per month to share our beers and chat about brewing. If you are close you are welcome to come along!

Alternatively you could send a bottle of your beer to 2012 Vicbrew which is held first week of October I think. Comps are always a good way to get feedback as you will almost always get at least one bjcp certified judge who will leave you with a comprehensive assessment of you beer (eg. what is good about it... or what needs to be improved etc).

Either send me a beer in the post and I'll give you my honest, vaguely educated opinion or drink it and share it with those you know and forget about it.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Your beer - your choice into which arena you put it and how much credence you give to others' opinions.

Manticle have you been drinking that reply seems quite tame considering you went to all that bother to actually reply. I'm just glad to be back home man. Where I have been I describe as the biggest patch of kitty litter in the universe.

Manticle have you been drinking that reply seems quite tame considering you went to all that bother to actually reply. I'm just glad to be back home man. Where I have been I describe as the biggest patch of kitty litter in the universe.

1. Yes I've been drinking. It's friday night and I'm posting on a beer forum.

2. I answered your questions, quite genuinely. Not sure what else you are after but I wish you all the best.

Been offline for sometime while I sought out the worlds problems over seas, its good to be home and brewing again.
So I'm drinking my latest house crafted beer (see what I did there) it's not home brew.
It's an ESB made using the recipe in Jamil's brewing classic styles. Used the ingredients as stipulated in the recipe as much as I wanted, it is a house crafted beer.
Now I think it's great and could sing its praises from the highest peeks. My Friends and family say its good but they drink for free and really, they don't care what it tastes like.
SO how do I know how good it is. Who is out there in brew land that is going to say Feral Ale Drinker your beer is shite, or, as I think, it's great.
I'm not a member of a house craft beer club, or home brew club if your that way inclined. Should I be bothered sending my beer somewhere so that some bloke (or sheila) can say this is shite or otherwise. Or should I stick with the Status Quo (I love that band - I'm Old) and have my friends and family say - "man you are really on the money with this beer". Should I care or just grab my board and get the next wave. Brew an other style to see what my friends say or put my beer in a competition.
Do I really need the grief if I get a bad judgement.
Anyway what do you do for a reference point, friends,family or judge. Just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
Meanwhile I'm getting amongst the waves, I've had too much sand not enough water for my liking.

Here's cheers RAGS :D .

Way back when, I thought my K & Ks fermented at 25+C in summer were pretty good. Then I met Ross and tried his AG beer and had an epiphany. What I am trying to say is try another AG brewers beer or have them try yours, find a benchmark and see how your beer sits against it. Maybe your there already, maybe your not.

1. Yes I've been drinking. It's friday night and I'm posting on a beer forum.

2. I answered your questions, quite genuinely. Not sure what else you are after but I wish you all the best.

I know of some folk who indulge in such activities ;)

Aargh.. Still sober...

Only other thing I would suggest is you yourself go out and drink a large variety of other good beer - be it commerical or not, but it should be of a high quality of whatever styles you are interested in. Eventually you'll know yourself whether yours in any good or not without anyone else's help (or judgement) if that is what you desire.

From my own experience I suspect that the learned ability to estimate the quality of one's own brews (over time) is very proportional to the absolute quality that they are. In other words, one's 3rd brew, and one's 300th brew are often "pretty decent!" in one's own estimation.

Only other thing I would suggest is you yourself go out and drink a large variety of other good beer - be it commerical or not, but it should be of a high quality of whatever styles you are interested in. Eventually you'll know yourself whether yours in any good or not without anyone else's help (or judgement) if that is what you desire.

Actually really, really sound advice.

I do appreciate "what do the Pollies call it" a rigorous debate. I suppose my lead in was just to lay down my story and build the suspense.
But what I actually sought was what do you use for a reference point.
Manticle was the first to respond and I do hold his opinion up there with mine and I do appreciate the fact that someone was listening (I may just send him one of my beers to get his view). But what is your reference point to how good your beer is.
I know my beer is good when I fall down when I try to get up. Not because it is too strong but because it tastes so good I drink a lot of it :D .

But what I actually sought was what do you use for a reference point.

I use various reference points but ultimately my own palate as I trust it and I brew the beer I want to drink.

I'm also capable of telling when it's shit.

I drink a diverse range of commercial beers, have done some sensory evaluation on beer faults (and will continue to do more as it's about training/practice), enter comps, share beer and read a lot about beer.

I listen to the opinions of others if I know they have a good palate or know what they are talking about but ultimately your beer is yours and should be brewed accordingly.

Mate with due respect the only person able to judge your brew is the guy drinking it....YOU! Your the one it has to please, no one else. it's your palate and taste that has to be satisfied and stuff the freeloaders. Anyway if you can't say if it is any good or not how can others, everyone has different tastes. and as for Manticle to be drinking on Friday nights and reading beer forums, well I find that totally unacceptable, how dare he :eek: , lol. Now as for me last night, I had trouble sitting in my chair after 10pm, my head at this moment is belting out huge drum rolls, and on the dunny this morning I was deciding whether I should sign off the grog for good! Mate Friday nights and grog are like meat pies and tomato sauce, they belong together. Enjoy your beer. Cheers

GO YOU HAWKS!!!!

Back