Who Stirs Their Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
I was just wondering who here regularly stirs their mash? I have read that you might as well just leave it be. But then just last night I was flicking through John Palmer's "How to Brew" and noticed he recommended a stir every now and then. What's the concensus here?

I just have an insulated cylindrical cooler which holds the mash temp nicely. I don't know whether there are any cold spots that form but this is apparently the reason why some people stir the mash every 20-30mins.

Am I missing out on potential gains (eg efficiency) by not stirring the mash? I'm just curious to see what the "general practice" is out there.

Cheers :beer:

T.D.

I just stir when I mash in. Usually for 5-10 mins. Depends on how many doughballs I get.

I put the lid on the tun for 5 mins. Check the temp is OK. If not I'll give it a another stir and add hot or cold water to correct the temp. Then I just leave it alone for 60-90 mins. :beerbang:

Edit: spelling

Warren -

T.D. said:
I was just wondering who here regularly stirs their mash? I have read that you might as well just leave it be. But then just last night I was flicking through John Palmer's "How to Brew" and noticed he recommended a stir every now and then. What's the concensus here?

I just have an insulated cylindrical cooler which holds the mash temp nicely. I don't know whether there are any cold spots that form but this is apparently the reason why some people stir the mash every 20-30mins.

Am I missing out on potential gains (eg efficiency) by not stirring the mash? I'm just curious to see what the "general practice" is out there.

Cheers :beer:
[post="82073"][/post]​

TD,

I do a 90 min mash, stir once after 45 mins & readjust temp slightly if neccesary...

I usually mash for 90 minutes and after a good stir at mash in, I tend to stir again at the hour mark and again when I add mash out/top up water for my first drain (batch sparging).

Shawn.

TD,
If I do a single temp mash I usually stir at about the 1/2 way mark and then again at mash out. Sometimes I do stepped mashes and will stir at each temp step and then at mash out.

Cheers
BradT

I only stir at mash out.

I used to stir hald way though but found this didn't effect my efficiency so I don't bother now...

Thanks guys. Even though most people seem to give it a stir, it seems as if there's no drastic need. I always give it a good stir at mash in, like Warren said, just so I know all teh grain is wet. But after that I just leave it until the end. I also usually only mash for 60mins (only go up to 90 if I am pressed for time).

I just find it interesting how we all read the same books etc, but all have slightly different ways of doing things - makes for some good variety in the final product with is always a good thing. Sometimes its good just to see how your own methods compare to your peers though, just to see if there's any possibilities of improvement.

:super:

I am in the stir at mash and then leave it alone camp.

My temp seems to stay pretty stable so I figure best to leave the mash tun alone rather than possibly messing with it.

Aaron said:

My temp seems to stay pretty stable so I figure best to leave the mash tun alone rather than possibly messing with it.
[post="82097"][/post]​

I'm with Aaron here, I reckon the less I interfere with the alchemic process, the happier the brew gods are :) .

wee stu said:
Aaron said:

[post="82097"][/post]​

I'm with Aaron here, I reckon the less I interfere with the alchemic process, the happier the brew gods are :) .
[post="82106"][/post]​

Stir only at mash in. Rest for about an hour -- recirculate for about 3 - 4 litres -- run off fill with remaining sparge water -- stir -- sit for 10 minutes -- recirculate and run off.

Now if I do a full step mash ------------ that's another story.

Steve

I do a 60 min mash and stir at the 30 min mark. I have found that there is usually a 2-3 degree temp difference between the top and bottom of the mash, so I figure a stir at half way both evens out the temp and makes sure that the enzymes are fully distributed throughout the mash.

Cheers - Snow

oh wow - I just realised this is my 1000th post!! :eek: And it only took me about 3 years to get there :rolleyes:

Congrats Snow. :beer:

I've got a ways to go yet before I get there! :angry:

wee stu said:
Aaron said:

[post="82097"][/post]​

[post="82106"][/post]​

I'm in the same camp. After a few trial batches I found that the temp does not vary very much, therfore I leave it alone. If it does not need fixing, let it be..

:chug:
PeterS....

chiller said:
Stir only at mash in. Rest for about an hour -- recirculate for about 3 - 4 litres -- run off fill with remaining sparge water -- stir -- sit for 10 minutes -- recirculate and run off.

Now if I do a full step mash ------------ that's another story.

Steve
[post="82108"][/post]​

Sticking to single infusion mashes for the moment, and I fly sparge. If, or when, I follow the path to batch sparging, my stirring will increase.

As if I don't stir enough already ;)

Cant say I have ever stirred the mash yet.
I am thinking of doing it sometime though.

johnno

underlet(thanxs dicko) stir in check temp then set and forget till drain and batch sparge time.(thanx chiller).from memory i think the first 10-15 minutes are the most important time for the enzymes conversion bit.
cheers
big d

Yep, under -letting helps to minimise dough-balls. Makes the first stir easier. Also kinder on the enzymes.

I'm the underlet, stir and piss of for 80 minutes to make coffee and breakfast camp. Come back recirulate, take runoff gravity and fill the tun with HLT to mashout, then sparge.

Doc

Back