Who Rides A Motorcycle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I think back to the bikes I had in my teenage years, I wish I had them now BSA Goldstar with a sidecar cost 5 pounds sterling,
lost it on a bend when going up to Matlock in Derbyshire to join the Troggs. :)

I had a Velocette Venom, and for a short time a Zundapp, and I learned to ride on a Tiger Cub, wonder what those bikes would be worth to day, I shudder now when I think back to not wearing a crash helmet.

malt & barley blues said:
When I think back to the bikes I had in my teenage years, I wish I had them now BSA Goldstar with a sidecar cost 5 pounds sterling,
lost it on a bend when going up to Matlock in Derbyshire to join the Troggs. :)

I had a Velocette Venom, and for a short time a Zundapp, and I learned to ride on a Tiger Cub, wonder what those bikes would be worth to day, I shudder now when I think back to not wearing a crash helmet.
You could probably go on a world cruise or two? When World War 2 ended my dad was at a dockside auction in Liverpool and one lucky guy bid on a giant grate of American war surplus. He got it for 10 quid and when he opened it up was the proud owner of 5 brand new army Harley's, lucky *******!
Of course you didn't look to far into the future in those years so he probably did okay selling them but I bet he had a few 'if only' moments later in life.
Velocette Venom :wub: I'd marry one of those if I it was legal, absolutely beautiful bike .Zundapp Horizontally opposed twin and shaft drive :icon_drool2: you've got great taste sir!

Probably didn't know what was in the crate, a bit like that TV show where they bid for the contents of a lock up prior to knowing whats inside.

I remember I think it was early to mid 60's when the Japanese bikes started arriving, I think Yamaha was the first, a mate of mine got one and we all laughed at him saying it would never last. :lol:

Yeah everyone just bid and crossed their fingers. A lot of people didn't have any way to cart away the bigger items so they didn't bid on them.

The Japanese bikes are just so reliable and the finish is great. About 1972 I read a Two Wheels Magazine article where a 17 stone aussie with a rather large beergut traveled around Australia in about 3 months I think it was, on a little 50cc Honda step-through just to show what they could do! He wasn't too comfortable but the little bike never missed a beat, you've got to love little machines like that. I'm thinking of getting a second hand postie bike next year to get to work on for the same reason, brilliant little things they are :icon_cheers:

Seen a few Ducati ST3 & ST4's with over 250,000km with only regular servicing

Shame they dont make then any more

Just booked accommodation for a long weekend trip Geelong-->Bright(overnight at the Bright Brewery)-->Mt Hotham-->Omeo-->Sorrento-->Geelong

That mountain road is awesome when the sun is out.

Five of us, one Suzuki SV1000(me), two Ducatis (848, 999) one Triumph Explorer and Superglide, be fun seeing the sparks off that fat ladys arse as the bloke riding it is very capable.

Looking forward to a cracking start to December.

We just had the Kyogle TT here. That's where you can ride from Rathdowney to Kyogle over 100km of Border Ranges goodness with no oncoming traffic.

Except: Cops fucked them in the arse. Stop everyone at Beaudesert & Rathdowney under the new QLD bikie laws. Refuse permission to shut down the Lions Rd, set up 3 H'way patrol cars plus booze bus/drug bus (lick-stick) in Kyogle and intimidate every fucker within a 200km radius.

I don't ride a motorbike - never have and never will. As far as I'm concerned it's a bunch of rich ***** playing with their toys. Accountants and dentists from Brissie and the Goldie acting tough.

But they don't hurt any **** so I'm happy to let them be.

well i ended up getting a 2008 WR250r it now has 60000km's on it...mostly ridden to work and back these days

I too ride motorbikes
I've got a 2011 Suzuki DR650 with most of the usual farkles, Acerbis Tank, bar risers, lowered pegs, staintune exhaust, opened up airbox, 14/44 sprocket combo, Dunlop D606 knobbies
Only thing I've gotta change now really is beefing up the suspension, I'm going to add new springs and oil for now, will get them revalved when money permits
also hoping to get a pumper carb in the next year or 2

Also have a 99 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, just fixing it up a bit before I sell it and replace with a bigger commuter/naked bike (something around the 900-1100cc mark)
If you want a cheap little bike that's perfect for a learner and you're in the upper hunter, let me know ;)

sp0rk said:
I too ride motorbikes
I've got a 2011 Suzuki DR650 with most of the usual farkles, Acerbis Tank, bar risers, lowered pegs, staintune exhaust, opened up airbox, 14/44 sprocket combo, Dunlop D606 knobbies
Only thing I've gotta change now really is beefing up the suspension, I'm going to add new springs and oil for now, will get them revalved when money permits
also hoping to get a pumper carb in the next year or 2

Also have a 99 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, just fixing it up a bit before I sell it and replace with a bigger commuter/naked bike (something around the 900-1100cc mark)
If you want a cheap little bike that's perfect for a learner and you're in the upper hunter, let me know ;)
I was looking at a DR before I bought my wholly less practical and demanding EXC 500.
But while I was, I got some great advice on which mods work and which are just pissing dollars away from this bloke. He's like some kind of DR guru.
If you're a DR man, this may be old news. If not, Vince knows his shit backwards.

http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/

Don't ride, but if I could afford one of these I'd probably get on it. once it was restored of course.

12002782_878770165563142_6609749457318902945_n.jpg

Apparently it sold at auction recently for $600,000. :blink:

I just saw this post and thought I would put a pic of my bike up.

I have been riding for a while now (started at 21, now 51). Before kids Boss Girl used to allow me a week or two per year for touring activities with the boys.....Cape Trib, Ayres Rock, Adelaide Grand Prix, Phillip Island etc. These days permission is far harder to obtain, but I did spend 3 weeks just before Christmas travelling to and around Tassie.

I own a Honda 1979 CB900F which I am in the process of restoring. I ride a Honda CBR1100XX; the Blackbird. Wonderful bike, great to tour on, and bags of go when needed.

IMAG0086 (2).jpg

Returned home from Absolute Homebrew last Satuarday with my supplies to discover the Ducati celebrating its Italian-ness by leaking oil from its recently rebuilt Ohlins fork leg.

WP_20151107_001_zpsjqtwffae.jpg

Obviously feeling left out, the left side then showed its solidarity by following suit.
Bellissimo..

WP_20151107_002_zpsocrutvqm.jpg

malt & barley blues said:
Probably didn't know what was in the crate, a bit like that TV show where they bid for the contents of a lock up prior to knowing whats inside.

I remember I think it was early to mid 60's when the Japanese bikes started arriving, I think Yamaha was the first, a mate of mine got one and we all laughed at him saying it would never last. :lol:
My brother bought one of those early Yamaha’s (with the kick start on the left) for £20 from a skinhead in the Crystal Palace pub in St Albans, Herts. The guy had apparently found it in the garage of a squat and registered it in his own name.

The Crystal was a great place to pick up bargains but looked a bit intimidating to outsiders. It always had a row of motorcycles outside and the patrons were an odd looking mix of skinheads, punks, Goths and Hells Angels. I’ve always thought it was probably the inspiration for Tarantino’s Dusk Till Dawn bar. :lol:

I bought a Triumph Bonneville 650 T120 in a similar deal and still have it in the UK.

Dave70 said:
Returned home from Absolute Homebrew last Satuarday with my supplies to discover the Ducati celebrating its Italian-ness by leaking oil from its recently rebuilt Ohlins fork leg.
<snip>
This kind of thing makes you want to cry.... self rebuilt or shop rebuilt?

fraser_john said:
This kind of thing makes you want to cry.... self rebuilt or shop rebuilt?
Shop. Same Duc guy I've been using for years.
Ohlins need a bunch of expensive Swedish tools and expertise to work on. So that's me out on both counts.
Hoping it might be a lack of use thing. But if I'm honest, its likely more of a dropping the front a little heavy after a wheely thing..

im 44 and had them on and off since 18, bikeless at the mo but here are my last two

for me the feeling of being free and being able to outrun most other things on the road... and riding a road that rises and falls with big sweeping bends - pity there's no time left to go off doing much of anything like that these days, one day...

I ride just about every day, I don't own a car, but there is a car in the family, bike to work and whenever I have errands to run.

I love it, at 50, over 60% of my life spent riding bikes and probably over 20% not owning a cage.

Looking forward to second w/e in December where we are going from Geelong->Bright->Omeo->Sorrento->Geelong over three days. The mountain road is awesome.

Back