Who remembers Grumpy's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had forgotten the Czechmate Pilsner but not the Boston Cream Ale,my first ever non full can of goo brew.
The results really got into brewing,mmm Boston Cream Ale mmmm.

So how did these kits work, were they just grain and hop additions that you 'mixed' with a coopers or similar can, or did they send out their own extracts as well?

Florian said:
So how did these kits work, were they just grain and hop additions that you 'mixed' with a coopers or similar can, or did they send out their own extracts as well?
From memory you could get a low, medium or high hopped can of extract to go with a bag of grain. The kits required a 30 min boil. It also came with hops (pellets). Depending on which kit you bought you but some of the extract in 4 litres and brought to the boil, and then added the 30 min hops. Leave for 15 mins then ad the grain and then 15 min hops and rest of goop and let simmer. Then strain into fermenter. So bloody simple isn't wasn't funny. The taste of grains and hops compared to just a kit n kilo was what got most people hooked on AG.
Cheers
Steve

I would pay to get the recipes

maybe in book format

Years ago my daughter wanted to decorate my store room door in the shed so she peeled labels off and stuck them on. image.jpgimage.jpg

I loved their Boston Cream, I might look into brewing something similar soon. I used the 25ibu tin. What is the Boston Cream classed as. I mean is it a Cream ale, or American Cream ale, it's not really an American pale ale is it.

In that photo, i spy Jayse, Dave (goliath) and i believe a bloke used to be known as Ozdevil???

I'll have to drag up the Batz world tour thread from 200(4?) Up at GMKs iirc

ben_sa said:
In that photo, i spy Jayse, Dave (goliath) and i believe a bloke used to be known as Ozdevil???

I'll have to drag up the Batz world tour thread from 200(4?) Up at GMKs iirc

Kids on the roof?

Looking back at those old photos reminded me of how jealous I was of you guys that had such easy access to Grumpy's and the very active HB scene in SA. I did a lot of the Grumpy's kits and bought a lot of gear from there. I was also a victim of the AG bug because of Grumpy's.

I was on a work trip to Adelaide years ago and had some time to spare so I took a drive out to Grumpy's but unfortunately it was closed. After reading all those posts and seeing all those photos, I was so disappointed.

Ducatiboy stu said:
The hopped extract tins where re-labeled Coopers kit tins
Not quite. A company in Victoria did the canning for us. I can't recall the company name but they made most of the brew cans for the Australian market. Yes, the extract was 100% Coopers malt but it was to Grumpy's bitterness specs. So Low, Medium and High were Coopers light malt with equivalent of 20,25 & 30 IBU/25L. The wheat was 50:50 light and wheat and the dark kit was really just Cooper's stout from memory.
They did all the canning,capping and our request for 2 x 7g packets of yeast. They required a large order, naturally. I can't remember how many pallets of cans where a minimum order but yes, I remember unloading the pallets from the delivery trucks!

Sort of :icon_offtopic: but what happened to GMK?
I met Kenny a long time ago & sampled his current Barleywine which was an absolute gem. You remember that Andrew?
A new & very enlightening experience for a noob like me it really was. :super:

Onya GMK! :beer:

i remember kenny, was still kicking around on the defence message boards 3 yrs ago before i left. dont know now.

Would love to buy the recipe book :beerbang:

TidalPete said:
Sort of :icon_offtopic: but what happened to GMK?
I met Kenny a long time ago & sampled his current Barleywine which was an absolute gem. You remember that Andrew?
A new & very enlightening experience for a noob like me it really was. :super:

Onya GMK! :beer:

That was a long time ago Pete.

I wonder how Kenny's doing?

Batz

2005_0821_182554.JPG

2005_0821_132303.JPG

2005_0821_183803.JPG

Batz said:
That was a long time ago Pete.

I wonder how Kenny's doing?

Batz
Best. Day. Ever.
That was truly an awesome experience, Pete I remember it very well, wouldn't it be great to have a reunion.

AndrewQLD said:
Best. Day. Ever.
That was truly an awesome experience, Pete I remember it very well, wouldn't it be great to have a reunion.

I believe the first ever Queensland brewers get together.

Latest posts

Back