Who owns or drives a VW Amarok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take my 80 series Sahara's A/C. Evaporator to cool the front passengers, another for the rear, and hell, let's chuck another under the drivers seat to make ice in the console bin.

The 75 series could turn your Troopy into a fridge in the middle of summer. I still benchmark all other airconditioners against it

I love that the Sahara came with factory ice cube trays in the console. Not only could you chill your camel's milk but you could freeze a dozen ice cubes to make ice teas for your CIA friends. One thing's for sure, 1990's Landcruisers were built for the Middle Eastern market and wealthy oil sheikhs.

Stick with a GU Shaunous. You, yourself would know how sensitive these modern common rails are to a bit of water in the pump and injectors. Won't be covered under warranty and not always easy to prove it was the servo's fault. First thing I did to the FIL's Ranger was bung an additional fuel filter inline before the injector pump. Replaced too many pumps on late model diesels due to one tank of bad fuel. Then there was a good chance they'd come back with failing injectors full of corrosion. 1 x Pump @ $2k plus 4 x injectors @ $1k each, plus additional parts and labour. Pffft. My 1HD-FT would drink that water for breakfast and still do another 300,000kms (mind you I just don't get there as quick as these new engines!)

The above is the exact reason i went the 4lt v6 petrol Hilux over the other options when I wanted to upgrade from my turbo diesel 80 series.

Comparable grunt to the common rail diesels, with no boost, tonnes of torque down low which the modern diesels do not seem to have, hence my previous comment about not wanting to tow more than a box trailer with an Amarock, the dont move untill you ride the clutch at 850,000rpm unladen yet alone towing 2 tonne like i do frequently. Reversing a laden car trailer up a hill? Try riding the clutch a lot at about 1,500,000rpm in the amarock.....I recon i would have been through 20 clutches in the last 18 months if i went that way.

Plus i have the added bonus of the biggest thing that will go wrong is some spark plugs and if i get a really bad batch of fuel I may have to get the injectors redone at about $25 a pop as opposed to my mate who just spent about 6k on his diesel Hilux.....Yes mine chews a lot more juice, but even at $1.60 a litre 6k buys a fuckign lot of juice.

Cheers.

A proper German offroader nothing like a Merc and a couple of oilwells to run it. Diesel is for buses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaNk116b2kw

Yeah, well the another night I dreamt I was Dan Bilzerian. When I awoke I had to stifle a sob into my pillow.

Meh

monstertruck.JPG

I'd happily swap my GU Patrol for an upgrade to a 30 yr old Lada Niva. 4th dash pad, third steering wheel, dress panels that fall off, failing sensors, second set of seat belts that don't retract. Leaking sump that has to have gearbox removed to fix, leaking turbo seals. 107,000 klm. Longest a set of tyres lasted was 18,000 klm due to insufficient wheel alignment adjustment. Multiple recalls. patrols used to be a decent vehicle. The Amarok has a good rep with most owners though.

Tropical_Brews said:
A proper German offroader nothing like a Merc and a couple of oilwells to run it. Diesel is for buses.

still trying to figure out what the AU army kneed this for?

Last edited by a moderator:
HBHB said:
I'd happily swap my GU Patrol for an upgrade to a 30 yr old Lada Niva. 4th dash pad, third steering wheel, dress panels that fall off, failing sensors, second set of seat belts that don't retract. Leaking sump that has to have gearbox removed to fix, leaking turbo seals. 107,000 klm. Longest a set of tyres lasted was 18,000 klm due to insufficient wheel alignment adjustment. Multiple recalls. patrols used to be a decent vehicle. The Amarok has a good rep with most owners though.
Let me guess, pre 2005 3.0L?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Those wheels come from this beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Z8I4ZZDmM

Amaroks gutless
Hilux rough as guts / question marks over d4d motor
Ranger unreliable
Navara v6 is the only reasonable choice.

Jeep Grand Cherokee has it all over all of them for value/performance but isn't a ute.

Hilux's have dropped in price to compete.

2015 branded SR Cab chassis hilux dual cab, tow bar, steel bull bar, steel tray colour matched to paint with builders racks = $44,000

Navara V6 is now dearer then the Hilux, my old man still likes his Navara, think its 3year old now, but he has had many problems with it and beforehand he was driving a little mitsubishi cattle truck as a daily driver, so anything would be good to him.
I personally also like the navara's, but they're to small, they are gutless when towing and without doing modifications to suspension they are to close to the ground.

I love my Dmax, just don't touch the accessories the dealer try's to put on you. Absolute garbage. Izuzu Ute Aus (the company) have no idea what they're doing. Shame, because the truck is brilliant

my neighbours mate has one (amarok) and tows a van with it reckons it awesome, thought he mentioned 8speed auto?

the d-max looks good, pretty good economy too, the in-laws have the mu-x and love it

Back