Who owns or drives a VW Amarok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
So yeh. What's your thoughts on them? They seem to win dual cab ute of the year every year, and seemed to have fixed there new teething issues. Interested to hear from people who have spent time driving them.

Heard more negative than positive feedback Shaunous but that's mainly from Ranger owners. My doctor had an Amarok (or maybe Toureg?) and took it through a shallow crossing and copped a bent rod, even with a snorkel. Insurance wrote it off as the motor replacement was well over 10 gorillas apparently. He's gone back to a Patrol and loves it.
I could tell you a lot of good things about the PX Ranger but I could tell you a lot of bad things about it too.
As a farmer if you're not still driving an old Aussie ute, isn't it law you have to buy a Hilux?

Newish Hiluxs are expensive and rough as guts to ride in, I like the strength and power of the Landcruiser but Fuk me, again their big big dollars, especially for the dual cab cruiser.

I have a mid 90's hilux single cab 4x4 but that's the play rig, I need a family car/work ute.

Cousins husband is the workshop foreman for a Holden/VW dealer and he reckons his going to buy an Amarok, right after he told me all the problems they 'had', but apparently there all gone now. His never driven one other then to get smoko.

Ranger owners probably have the shits cause the Amarok leaves them a close second every year in all the dual cab reviews.

I just got an amarok trendline about three weeks ago, drove the competitors, looked at the prices and couldn't go past the amarok. Quiet, smooth, comfy. Now I just need the guy on the oil rig to put the money in my account for my old car...

We were looking at one, but getting 200KW out of a 2L turbo diesel engine with twin turbos running 24psi at max boost gives me a few worries about longevity issues
that and I've seen bills for spare parts on them, I'd need a second loan just for parts ;)
Mrs wants a D-Max now

one of these should do the trick. Plank of wood in the back for a rear set....sorted

Land-Rover%20Series%20I%201949%20front.jpg

Funnily enough Stu this is the car I'm moving on due to getting the Amarok.
car pic.jpg
Let me know if you're interested Shaunous.

Never accept an invite to go 4WDing from someone who owns a Landrover.....you know that he can get properly serious in the scrub

I note you didn't mention out of it.

It has been an amazing car and great fun, but needed to go from two cars to one for economic reasons, so the van will be next to go I'm hoping the amarok can do both roles.
It always amazed me how you'd see guys in locked and lifted patrols and stuff tearing the crap out of tracks and giving 4wd's a bad name when you can get a dead stock landie lower the tyre pressure a bit lock the centre diff and it'd just about idle up, over or through what ever you pointed it at. It's funny how you grow attached to cars, it will be a sad day for me when I say goodbye.

I used to service an old series III for a bloke who ran horse riding weekends and must admit it seemed bulletproof. But as far as Disco's or Range Rovers are concerned, while being some of the most comfortable and well suspended of 4x4s, reliable they are not...IMO!

Bridges said:
It has been an amazing car and great fun, but needed to go from two cars to one for economic reasons, so the van will be next to go I'm hoping the amarok can do both roles.
It always amazed me how you'd see guys in locked and lifted patrols and stuff tearing the crap out of tracks and giving 4wd's a bad name when you can get a dead stock landie lower the tyre pressure a bit lock the centre diff and it'd just about idle up, over or through what ever you pointed it at. It's funny how you grow attached to cars, it will be a sad day for me when I say goodbye.
I must admit that I am fond of the Toyota Troopy...Drove them for years. Much like a Landrover in that they would go anywhere in low range and where tuff..except for when they put the 100 series gearbox in them, used to chew out the output shaft splines at about 300-350k.

And i used to walk all over them jacked up show ponies. Was quite fun :D

All I know is that Amarok is an awesome album by Mike Oldfield. Hope that helps.

Just dont try towing anything more than a box trailer with a manual Amarock, absolutely useless.

Yeh I never looked hard at the engine specs untill now sp0rk. Good lord, tiny.

Hilux is apparently getting cheaper next year so I'll wait, I'm a Nissan boy but Nissan Navara's are to small in size.

Bring out a damn decent Patrol will u Nissan!!! Oh u did, with a V8, but u need a house loan to but it.

GU ute? Really?

I do love my GU Wagon, and everyone knows that the 4.2L GU Patrol ute and wagon are both the best cars ever made for their purpose.

If you put a Toyota motor with GQ running gear in a 110 you would have the ultimate 4WD.......and you want the 75 series aircon, God damn it was good

Back