Who Makes Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Who besides Coopers makes liquid & dry malt in Australia

Normell

Morgans make very good liquid malts.
Their Extra Pale in 1.5kg cans is the base for all of my extract recipes, and if I miss my gravity in all-grain, it's what I use to bump it up.
Their coloured malts are pretty good to. I believe dark crystal is half vienna/half dark crystal, which is a damn good combination if you ask me.

Tallgum said:
Joe White Maltings
[post="52875"][/post]​

What brand do they sell their extracts under? Or do they not sell extract through the homebrew shop retail channel?

Just Google it PoMo . "Joe White Maltings". Biggest malters in Aussie.

There's a 2 page article in Brisbane's Courier Mail today on home brewing. They mention that Coopers have recently bought into Morgans. Does this mean a monopoly on kits/extracts is approaching? <_<

- Snow

Joe White Maltings only do dry malts, any body know of a liquid malt maker

Normell

Just put a similar post up on Grumpys site - Yep Joe White are the biggest maltster in Australia but they only produce malted grain. They are the supplier of those malted grains to Coopers. Coopers, CUB and Nestle are the only makers of liquid malt AFAIK but CUB used to also produce a spray dried malt but not sure if they still do. Morgans have always bought their liquid malt from Coopers.

The other major supplier to the liquid malt market is Lion Nathan from their brewery in Christchurch.

Wes

Snow said:
There's a 2 page article in Brisbane's Courier Mail today on home brewing. They mention that Coopers have recently bought into Morgans. Does this mean a monopoly on kits/extracts is approaching? <_<

- Snow
[post="52879"][/post]​

Snow can you keep a copy of that article at all?
Anway, Coopers have been tied together with Morgans for ever anyway, they make all their kits.

The beer gods? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:beer:

cheers
johnno

Dunkel_Boy said:
Morgans make very good liquid malts.
[post="52872"][/post]​

you mean package?;-)

Snow said:
They mention that Coopers have recently bought into Morgans.
[post="52879"][/post]​
I get into trouble whenever i mention coopers but seens its been put in print i can at least agree with it! brought into should be more like half owned though..i bet i get a email saying delete that :blink:

wessmith said:
Morgans have always bought their liquid malt from Coopers.

[post="52882"][/post]​

makes me laugh every time people say they like morgans better now you all know why!

jgriffin said:
Anway, Coopers have been tied together with Morgans for ever anyway, they make all their kits.
[post="52883"][/post]​

looks like the info isn't that senstive after all, most people know of the connection already.

Cheers
jayse

The only plain malt extract I've seen is dry Coopers extract (I assume) and liquid Morgans... ie Coopers in Morgans tins, it would seem. Also seen little plastic takeaway containers of malt, probably made by the HBS owner.

I think Morgans extra pale tastes a lot better than Coopers DME... you would think they use exactly the same malt, but perhaps the DME goes through more processing?

Morgan's make their own kits, but they use Coopers liquid malt in them

Back